Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

duplicate; photostat
array
competitor
draw
copy
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I can lend you some money until the end of the month

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
It's very hot: It's scorching | He's looking for two pucks, what's he looking for exactly?
listening exercises
I can lend you some money until the end of the month #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 12, 2014 22:37 pm   I can lend you some money until the end of the month

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #237 "Various Conjunctions (5)", question 9

I can lend you some money ......... the end of the month. You have to pay me back on the 31st because I need that money for rent.

(a) unless
(b) until
(c) if
(d) so

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #237 "Various Conjunctions (5)", answer 9

I can lend you some money until the end of the month. You have to pay me back on the 31st because I need that money for rent.

Correct answer: (b) until

Your answer was: correct

Hello everyone.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on that sentence, I think it should be written: I can lend you some money BY the end of the month.
UNTIL there gives the idea that I'm going to keep on lending money until the end of the month. Does it make any sense?

Thanks in advance.
JacquelineL

I can lend you some money until the end of the month #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 12, 2014 23:14 pm   I can lend you some money until the end of the month

Hello Jacqueline,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm afraid your thoughts are not correct.

If you use 'by the end of the month' you are saying that you will not be able to give them the money until that time.

'until the end of the month' in the test question indicates that you can lend money now but you will want it repaid at the end of the month. The context makes it clear that it does not mean you will be lending money to someone from this moment right up until the end of the month. That would just be silly,
Language Coach

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
I can lend you some money until the end of the month #3 (permalink) Sat Sep 13, 2014 0:31 am   I can lend you some money until the end of the month

Hello Beesnees.
Yeah, that would be just silly, that's why I asked the questions here.

That's what forums are made for, right? :)
Thank you for making it clear though.
JacquelineL

It's very hot: It's scorching | He's looking for two pucks, what's he looking for exactly?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
The use of groundsUrgent need.It's about nounsIs there such an expression?Tip into recessionantiphonal singing or duet?Watercolor pen?How to email college admissions officeWhat is the difference between "end" and "end up"?'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names''it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"What does it mean: ingredientsWhat is the difference between "be afraid of" and "have fear"It is clear that one day she will pass her examination