duplicate; photostat
array
competitor
draw
copy

I can lend you some money until the end of the month

It's very hot: It's scorching | He's looking for two pucks, what's he looking for exactly?
I can lend you some money until the end of the month #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 12, 2014 22:37 pm   I can lend you some money until the end of the month

ESL/EFL Test #237 "Various Conjunctions (5)", question 9

I can lend you some money ......... the end of the month. You have to pay me back on the 31st because I need that money for rent.

(a) unless
(b) until
(c) if
(d) so

ESL/EFL Test #237 "Various Conjunctions (5)", answer 9

I can lend you some money until the end of the month. You have to pay me back on the 31st because I need that money for rent.

Correct answer: (b) until

_________________________

Hello everyone.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on that sentence, I think it should be written: I can lend you some money BY the end of the month.
UNTIL there gives the idea that I'm going to keep on lending money until the end of the month. Does it make any sense?

Thanks in advance.
JacquelineL

Location: Brazil

I can lend you some money until the end of the month #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 12, 2014 23:14 pm   I can lend you some money until the end of the month

Hello Jacqueline,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm afraid your thoughts are not correct.

If you use 'by the end of the month' you are saying that you will not be able to give them the money until that time.

'until the end of the month' in the test question indicates that you can lend money now but you will want it repaid at the end of the month. The context makes it clear that it does not mean you will be lending money to someone from this moment right up until the end of the month. That would just be silly,
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
I can lend you some money until the end of the month #3 (permalink) Sat Sep 13, 2014 0:31 am   I can lend you some money until the end of the month

Hello Beesnees.
Yeah, that would be just silly, that's why I asked the questions here.

That's what forums are made for, right? :)
Thank you for making it clear though.
JacquelineL

Location: Brazil

The use of groundsUrgent need.It's about nounsIs there such an expression?Tip into recessionantiphonal singing or duet?Watercolor pen?How to email college admissions officeWhat is the difference between "end" and "end up"?'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names''it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"What does it mean: ingredientsWhat is the difference between "be afraid of" and "have fear"It is clear that one day she will pass her examination