range; extent; sphere; expanse
library
scope
perspective
article

What is "stores mark down their prices"?

Meaning of "Face to face" | Idiom: "quick off the mark"
What is "stores mark down their prices"? #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:42 am   What is "stores mark down their prices"?

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #26 "Retail Sales Expressions", question 2

The best time to go shopping in the USA is the day after Thanksgiving, because all stores mark down their prices.

(a) reduce
(b) boost
(c) raise
(d) hike

ESL/EFL Test #26 "Retail Sales Expressions", answer 2

The best time to go shopping in the USA is the day after Thanksgiving, because all stores reduce their prices.

Correct answer: (a) reduce
_________________________

I just want to get an explanation of question two.

Thank you
Semak
Semak

What is "stores mark down their prices"? #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:54 am   What is "stores mark down their prices"?

.
Mark down the prices = reduce the prices. Stores in America often do this before a holiday (this test question refers to Christmas shopping); in Japan, they mark up (= raise) the prices at that time.

Have I answered any of your question?
.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What is "stores mark down their prices"? #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:33 am   What is "stores mark down their prices"?

IMO, stores in the USA and in Japan do things much of a muchness: mark up the prices before a holiday and mark down them after that.

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

What is "stores mark down their prices"? #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:54 am   What is "stores mark down their prices"?

Hi Haihao

IMO, stores in the USA and in Japan do things much of a muchness:
I see you've learned an interesting expression. Just a comment, though: I had to look the expression up in order to verify the meaning and validity. :shock: So it seems to be one of those things that is used in the UK but not at all in the USA.

In the USA stores do mark down prices before Christmas. They might not mark down all prices, but there are many reductions. Of course, what's left over AFTER Christmas, is then marked down further -- and will continue to be marked down until it's gone.

mark up the prices before a holiday and mark down them after that.
When a phrasal verb is separable and you use a pronoun, then the pronoun should come in the middle: mark them down. (A noun can come either in the middle or after a separable phrasal verb.)

_________________

What is "stores mark down their prices"? #5 (permalink) Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:06 am   What is "stores mark down their prices"?

much of a muchness
Thanks for the expression.

By the way, how can it be used in negative form? Just 'not much of a muchness'?

...Hmm... Amy, what about 'muchly'? :)

(Some people are … muchly much-much more unlucky than you! (from Google)
Oh… that’s English…
:) :D )
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

What is "stores mark down their prices"? #6 (permalink) Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:20 am   What is "stores mark down their prices"?

Tamara wrote:
much of a muchness
Thanks for the expression.

Hi Tamara

You'll have to wait for Alan for answers about that. As I said, I don't know the expression at all! I originally thought Haihao had simply invented it but Google told me otherwise. :lol:

_________________

What is "stores mark down their prices"? #7 (permalink) Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:22 am   What is "stores mark down their prices"?

Hi Tamara,

Much of a muchness is already negative in spirit in the sense of not much to choose between two or more things/ not a lot of difference when you make comparisons. As a result the negative won't work here.

_________________

What is "stores mark down their prices"? #8 (permalink) Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:44 am   What is "stores mark down their prices"?

Hmm, how interesting it is...

Thanks, Alan!
_________________
Tamara

Expression: get hitchedHe's just not the same person any more...Expression: 'a peak'Punctuation questionIs "immaculate" an error?Questions about infinitivesOn time vs. in timeStare vs. watchComma questionSpecial cardstock vs. specialty cardstockExpression: to be out of somethingIdiom: take eggs for moneyMeaning of 'make hay'