hypothetical remedy for all ills or diseases; catholicon; cure-all
tribulation
remnant
exchequer
panacea

Issue - What should students base their study choices on?

GRE Practice tests Increase your GRE test score with
plus 3.750 GRE word flash cards
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GREŽ Test
Argument (Weakening): Baskets were not found first by Paleans! | OV1 reading mixed practice 1
Issue -  What should students base their study choices on? #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:05 pm   Issue - What should students base their study choices on?

Title:Some people believe that college students should consider only their own talents and interests when choosing a field of study. Others belive that college students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field.

Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely aligns with your own position and explain your reasoning for the position you take. in developing and supporting your position, you should address both of the views presented.

Facing ruthless competition and thus forging a promising future for their descendants, people spare no effort to pinpoint the optimal mechanism educating college students. But, a widely recognized consensus on which mechanism is the best one seems to have far from established, with some upholding talent and interest-oriented policy and others underpinning job-oriented policy, when college students choose which field to study. I concede that college students who are urgent to need a job should take job-oriented policy. Otherwise, to the best of my knowledge, talent and interest-oriented policy is more preferable.

Admittedly, job-oriented policy is suitable for the college students who consider that job-finding is a fairly pressing issue. For example, nowadays, there are still a great amount of families leading a struggling life, even a life under poverty line. Students born in those families are eager to find an opening sooner, because they are hungry for money to share the heavy burden imposed by their families. Hence, they always take the issue of how to come out job-finding marsh more swiftly on their top agenda, when studying at school and even earlier. In addition, within the context that fierce competition is flooded with every corner of our society, job-finding has increasingly become a challenging issue, especially under the backdrop of economic recession, such as the Great Depression in 1929 and the financial crisis in 2008. Therefore, considering their needs and present situation of job-finding, plus the relative edge of the availability of jobs between different fields, job-oriented policy is favorable for them.

Aside from the foregoing proviso, I believe that talent and interest-oriented policy is preferred. It is largely via such policy that college students achieve their values, whether for those interested in a specific field or for those who have talent in a specific field.

For the college students interested in a specific field, they should immerge themselves into what they want to do, since interest can make them outstand themselves from their peers. History is replete with such examples. For instance, Jean Tirole is one of most influential economist nowadays and considered as a potential Nobel Prize winner. Surprisingly, his first major is not economics. After receiving a Ph.D. in mathematics from the Paris IX, he expressed great interest in economics and then moved to US where he received his second Ph.D. in economics from the MIT. Had he continued to study in mathematics field, he could have hardly made such unparalleled contribution as he does in economics field. For the college students who have talent in a specific field, they should choose a platform whereby they can sufficiently tap their endowed talent. That is because such natural advantage seems to be hardly substituted by other factors, such as diligence. For example, Isaac Newton, seen as a genius in physics field in history, as early as his 22 years old, solved the greatest puzzle in the history of since up to his time, the puzzle to which the best minds of his previous century had been devoted to, from Copernicus to Gilbert to Kepler to Galileo, and as such, the law of universal gravitation was born.

In sum, unless college students perceive job-finding is the most imminent issue, I concede that job-oriented policy is fitted for them. Otherwise, when choosing which field to study, college students who take talent and interest-policy hold a brighter future.
Raikkonen36

Issue -  What should students base their study choices on? #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:34 pm   Issue - What should students base their study choices on?

TITLE EDITED.
Please help everyone to make the most of this forum and its resources by giving your threads meaningful and relevant subject lines.
_________________

GRE Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 750 free GRE Vocabulary TestsGRE Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise GRE scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportGRE Practice Tests — Learn the most essential GRE vocabulary words you need to pass the GRE with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card system
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GREŽ Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on GRE Test Forums
the much-abused figure of fun in Pride and Prejudice.Issue writing: If a goal is worthy, then any means taken to attain it are justifiArgument essay: SalicylatesArgument essay: SalicylatesThanks for your help guys -- I did it!Assessing Students on their grasp of facts or their ability to explain conceptsReason for extinction of certain mammal species in the Kaliko IslandsCars as status symbolsThank you for helping me! I finally did it.A strong template for the GREŽ Analytical WritingIncreased audience in a radio stationTo understand the characteristics of a society, one must study its major citiesThe difference between GREŽ and TOEFLŽ writing sections