invulnerability; sacredness
inviolability
befoulment
debutante
curmudgeon

OV1 reading mixed practice 1

GRE Practice tests Increase your GRE test score with
plus 3.750 GRE word flash cards
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GRE® Test
Issue - What should students base their study choices on? | Thank you for helping me! I finally did it.
OV1 reading mixed practice 1 #1 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:02 am   OV1 reading mixed practice 1

Hi, dear teachers, long time no see, how are you?

The Reading:

Although it is intuitively clear that an increase in antipredator behavior lowers an animal’s risk of predation when predators are present, such benefits are not easily demonstrated. One study that did so found that well-fed guppies are more alert for predators and are consequently less likely to be killed than are their hungry counterparts, which feed with greater intensity. It is also well documented that a decrease in activity lowers an animal’s risk of predation by reducing the probability of being detected or encountered by a predator. This effect was convincingly demonstrated by a study in which it was found that partially anesthetized tadpoles were less likely to be captured by dragonfly larvae than were unanesthetized tadpoles.

In the context indicated, “demonstrated” (line 3) most nearly means

A explained
B presented
C shown
D protested
E justified105

C is the answer, while I was thinking that since scientists did two "experiments", they were attempting to "demonstrate(justify, vindicate)" the "intuitively clear (but not verified) description" of the first sentence. Could somebody help out? I am pretty baffled. Thanks a lot ^^
Peterwu1988

OV1 reading mixed practice 1 #2 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:32 am   OV1 reading mixed practice 1

The test appears to be skewed if it indicates that 'C' is the only possible answer.

To demonstrate = to show, but it can also be used to indicate 'to present'. (to show or offer for others to view).
_________________

GRE Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 750 free GRE Vocabulary TestsGRE Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise GRE scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportGRE Practice Tests — Learn the most essential GRE vocabulary words you need to pass the GRE with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card system
OV1 reading mixed practice 1 #3 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2014 13:21 pm   OV1 reading mixed practice 1

Yes, I agree. The first thing I had done was to eliminate B and C since they, to my knowledge, basically means the same. I've looked into some dictionaries, finding that "demonstrate" does have the meaning of E (MW dictionary: to prove or make clear by reasoning or evidence). So maybe it's just the question of the language it self, that we don't usually use "demonstrate" to mean "prove"?

Thanks again~
Peterwu1988

OV1 reading mixed practice 1 #4 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2014 14:48 pm   OV1 reading mixed practice 1

I don't understand why you eliminated C. That is one of the correct possibilities, and the most usual synonym for 'demonstrate'.
_________________

OV1 reading mixed practice 1 #5 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2014 17:21 pm   OV1 reading mixed practice 1

Ok, I'll think it over. Thank you anyway.
Peterwu1988

ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GRE® Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on GRE Test Forums
Chaotic in conception but not in execution, Kelly's canvases are as neat as thethe much-abused figure of fun in Pride and Prejudice.Issue writing: If a goal is worthy, then any means taken to attain it are justifiArgument essay: SalicylatesArgument essay: SalicylatesThanks for your help guys -- I did it!Assessing Students on their grasp of facts or their ability to explain conceptsReason for extinction of certain mammal species in the Kaliko IslandsCars as status symbolsA strong template for the GRE® Analytical WritingIncreased audience in a radio stationArgument (Weakening): Baskets were not found first by Paleans!To understand the characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities