entering into the feelings of another; sympathy; vicarious emotion; understanding
mark
office
performance
empathy

Tip into recession

He's looking for two pucks, what's he looking for exactly? | Is there such an expression?
Tip into recession #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 20, 2014 21:38 pm   Tip into recession

This phrace "tip into recession" is popular and it's usually used for a country. When something causes recession we say that it tips the country into recession. Or when an economy is in danger of slumbering it is highly likely that the country might tip into recession.

What exactly is the meaning here of the verb tip? Force? Push? End up? Derail/Overturn?

And can we use "tip into", with the same meaning, for something other than the economy? (examples)
BenDover23

Tip into recession #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 20, 2014 22:10 pm   Tip into recession

tip = overbalance.

We could use the expression literally:

Tip it into the bowl.
Be careful that the canoe doesn't tip into the water.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Do / Did you have to.................today?The use of groundsUrgent need.It's about nounsI can lend you some money until the end of the monthantiphonal singing or duet?Watercolor pen?How to email college admissions officea little vs. a bitIt's very hot: It's scorchingWhat is the difference between "end" and "end up"?'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names''it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"What does it mean: ingredients