Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to make a request; to implement; to realize; to put into practice
apply
revere
revolve
prevail
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Word ''Key'' pronunciation?

ESL Forum | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training
speaking practice ? | Any help! School Interview?
listening exercises
Word ''Key'' pronunciation? #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 04, 2014 16:43 pm   Word ''Key'' pronunciation?

Maybe it's stupid, but are there different ways to pronounce english word "key"? I mean, I always thought it sounds something like ''kee'' or ''keey'', but in the song "Holiday" by Green Day they clearly pronounce it like ''kay''... So here's the question...
Thanks.
Trueman
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Word ''Key'' pronunciation? #2 (permalink) Thu Dec 04, 2014 17:40 pm   Word ''Key'' pronunciation?

I've never heard that song, but if that's what they sing then it must be a regional accent. It is not standard English.
Language Coach

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Word ''Key'' pronunciation? #3 (permalink) Wed Jan 07, 2015 22:02 pm   Word ''Key'' pronunciation?

The singer has a sort of California "surfer/skater dude" accent, so his "key" sort of sounds like "kay" - notice "misery" rhymes with this but comes out sounding like "miser-ay" Here is a pretty funny exaggerated version of this accent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyutwC_4USA&src_vid=GgQ5BJTSv9U&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_194351
Luschen
I'm a Communicator ;-)

speaking practice ? | Any help! School Interview?
ESL Forum | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Hellothe pronunciation of bowedPlentyPronunciation of the word "then"Independent task: Someone you feel close to.Perfect pronounciationTOEFLŪ SPEAKING 1: Help from family or a friend.How to teach the phonics to the 2nd and 3rd primary stage?speaking practice 2Speaking practice for ToeflŪ testWhich is more polite?I have a question ;)My first Record Message