to assess; to appraise; to determine value; to grade; to classify; to sort
apply
pretend
itemize
rate

changing identity

ESL Forum | New ESL Forum Member?
Greetings, I am Cristian Dinescu, from Bucharest, Romania | Happy new year
changing identity #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 15, 2015 16:45 pm   changing identity

Hi everyone, can anyone correct what gramatical mistakes i have done in the following essay. Thanks in advance
Identity is a distinctive characteristic and mental image that belongs to any individuals. What we believe and how we think about our selves will determine our success and failure in all aspects of life. Our identity can be either positive or negative. A positive identity means you have a strong self-belief in performing whatever challenge you face and you believe that you have sufficient knowledge, talent and potential necessary for success. A negative identity can do exactly the opposite. It can destroy our motivation and ability to achieve desire goals in life.

Having a negative self-conception can be very dangerous and it leads to fatal. For example, for many years I defined myself as an extremely terrible English language learner. I quit summer English language course twice in my country. I failed to speak English while I had been living in the UK for almost two years.

To achieve my dreams, I knew I had to change my belief. Fortunately, I found some useful language websites a while ago that helped me to redefine my identity and find a better method to learn language.
Lara84

Re: changing identity #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 24, 2015 17:06 pm   Re: changing identity

Identity is a distinctive or characteristic image that belongs to an individual. What we believe and how we think about ourselves will determine what we are. Our identity can be either positive or negative. A positive identity means that you have a strong self-confidence in accepting whatever challenges you face as you believe that you have sufficient knowledge, talent and potential necessary for success. A negative identity can mean exactly the opposite. It can destroy your motivation and ability to achieve the desired goals in life.

Having a negative conception can be very dangerous and fatal. To substantiate, for many years I considered myself to be an extremely terrible English language learner. I quit a summer English language course twice in my country. Consequently, I couldn't speak English well though I had been living in the UK for almost two years.

To fulfil my dreams, I knew I had to change my attitude. Fortunately, I found some useful language websites some time ago that helped me to redefine my identity and find a better method to learn the English language.

(This is a small attempt, please)
_________________
Anglophile
I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Anglophile

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
changing identity #3 (permalink) Thu Sep 24, 2015 17:48 pm   changing identity

Hello Lara,

I think you are speaking about self-identity rather than identity. I have clarified that in the first two sentences below, but I don't think some of the changes suggested by Anglophile are necessary. Much of what you've said is perfectly acceptable as you've written it. Here and there, Anglophile's suggestions appear to slightly change the original meaning.

Identity is a distinctive characteristic and mental image that belongs to an individual. Self-identity relates to how an individual perceives themselves. What we believe and how we think about ourselves will determine our success and failure in all aspects of our life. Our identity can be either positive or negative. A positive identity means you have a strong self-belief in performing whatever challenge you face, because you believe that you have sufficient knowledge, talent and potential necessary for success. A negative identity can do exactly the opposite. It can destroy your motivation and ability to achieve your desired goals in life.

Having a negative self-conception can be disastrous. For example, for many years I defined myself as an extremely poor (alternatively use 'terrible' in place of 'extremely poor' but do not use 'extremely terrible') English language learner. I quit a summer English language course twice in my own country/when I moved to the UK. (It's unclear which you mean, so I have provided both.) Consequently, I failed to speak English well even after I had been living in the UK for almost two years.

To achieve my dreams, I knew I had to change my belief in myself. Fortunately, a while ago I found some useful language websites that helped me to redefine my identity and find a better method to learn the English language. (Alternatively, if the websites also helped you learn other languages, replace 'the English language' with 'languages'.)
_________________

Please correct the mistakes I did in these sentences. #4 (permalink) Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:47 am   Please correct the mistakes I did in these sentences.

Most of the things that you've mentioned can be related. Even I'm facing problem in relation to acquiring necessary knowledge to fluently speak in English. Mainly due to not being able to use it while speaking at all. I live in India at a part where English is not spoken even a little. But, I'm very determined and have decided to learn the language at my own pace. I know it will take time because of the reasons I mentioned earlier. Just don't give up and keep learning a bit with each passing day.Best of luck!
Sachit Gupta

ESL Forum | New ESL Forum Member? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Say hello to my old friendsProblem with registration?Hello from PolandtrynnnA pleasant hello to youHey guys glad to be hereI am new student.sometimes l be where l should be .....Hi friends ....introductionMake friendHello, I am Dani from Bulgaria