Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

short written reminder; memo; brief informal letter; official message
clause
setback
moral
note
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression: "I have been hearing"

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Tell the truth | Is or is being?
listening exercises
Expression: "I have been hearing" #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 01, 2004 16:45 pm   Expression: "I have been hearing"

Test No. incompl/elem-4 "Listen/Hear", question 10

I have been ......... strange stories about you recently but I do hope that there is no substance in them.

(a) listened to
(b) listenting to
(c) heard
(d) hearing

Test No. incompl/elem-4 "Listen/Hear", answer 10

I have been hearing strange stories about you recently but I do hope that there is no substance in them.

Correct answer: (d) hearing

Your answer was: incorrect
I have been heard strange stories about you recently but I do hope that there is no substance in them.

Could you please explain more about this sentence?
I think it's "I have been heard..." because it comes together with "recently".
Is it the present perfect tense?

KYTTIE
KYTTIE

I have been hearing #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 01, 2004 17:20 pm   I have been hearing

Well, Present Perfect would be I have heard. The tense you are referring to is Present Perfect Continuous (or Present Perfect Progressive): I have been hearing.

TOEIC short conversations: An employee asks a colleague to help with getting the new printer to work
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
I have been hearing #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:00 am   I have been hearing

Torsten wrote:
Well, Present Perfect would be I have heard. The tense you are referring to is Present Perfect Continuous (or Present Perfect Progressive): I have been hearing.

I don't understand why using Present Perfect Continuous here? I think using Present Perfect is correct. Please explain to me! Thanks.
whitegoat

Let me try #4 (permalink) Wed Jul 20, 2005 20:06 pm   Let me try

Let me try to sum it up for you:

PRESENT PERFECT
A tense that indicates that an action or state has been completed at some indefinite time up to the present, as in "I have lived in four countries.

PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS
It is used to emphasise the duration of a recent past activity. It can also be used for actions that began in the past and are still going on now.
Rich7
I'm here quite often ;-)

Too #5 (permalink) Wed Aug 17, 2005 21:37 pm   Too

don't understand why using Present Perfect Continuous here? I think using Present Perfect is correct.
karry45

Perfect #6 (permalink) Wed Aug 17, 2005 22:47 pm   Perfect

This topic first appeared because the questioner wanted to write I have been heard, which is clearly wrong because that is the Perfect passive. The question really revolves around I have heard or I have been hearing. Now when I wrote this sentence I included recently and also added I do hope there is no ... which is Present tense. My intention was to indicate that these stories are current and so they are still going on. And that is the main reason why I have chosen the Present Perfect Continuous.

Hope this helps

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

I have been hearing #7 (permalink) Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:06 am   I have been hearing

Torsten wrote:

Hello everybody;
I read many grammar books, and all of them say that the verb "hear" doesn't accept the -ing suffix because it is a sense very.
What do you comment please?
Majid

Ing form #8 (permalink) Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:59 am   Ing form

Hi Majid,

You are quite right when you say that verbs referring to the senses are not usually found in the continuous forms. But that is the case when the verbs are used with their first meaning. So hear for example when it means using the facility provided by your ears and see using the facility provided by your eyes as another example take the simple form in most cases. But you can use these verbs and other verbs of the senses in a second meaning and that is the way in which I have used 'hear'in the sentence I have been hearing stories because this really means: stories have been coming to my notice. Similarly we could say: Thanks to the internet we are seeing changes in the way people get information. Here seeing means noticing.

I hope this helps.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

I do hope #9 (permalink) Wed Jan 25, 2006 14:32 pm   I do hope

In the sentence: I do hope that there is no substance in them.

Why you use do, can we say only I hope ?
Viviana

Do #10 (permalink) Wed Jan 25, 2006 15:19 pm   Do

Hi Viviana,

In this sentence:

I do hope that there is no substance in them. do is used for emphasis as in: I really/honestly hope ...

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Do #11 (permalink) Fri May 25, 2007 4:43 am   Do

Alan wrote:
Hi Viviana,

In this sentence:

I do hope that there is no substance in them. do is used for emphasis as in: I really/honestly hope ...

Alan

What does it mean by "there is no substance in them"?
Seanmen
You can meet me at english-test.net

Expression: "I have been hearing" #12 (permalink) Fri May 25, 2007 7:46 am   Expression: "I have been hearing"

Hi,

This means ' they are not true '.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Expression: "I have been hearing" #13 (permalink) Fri May 25, 2007 8:17 am   Expression: "I have been hearing"

Great.

Thanks.
Seanmen
You can meet me at english-test.net

I have been hearing #14 (permalink) Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:55 am   I have been hearing

If there is continuous form of verb "to hear"? It is impossible "have been hearing" because we can't use to hear for Continuous Tenses, cannot we?
Aleksandra

Expression: "I have been hearing" #15 (permalink) Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:58 am   Expression: "I have been hearing"

Yes, most of the static verbs can appear in continuous form when the duration of the activity is being considered, for example:

I've been hearing a lot about the US primaries lately.

Tell the truth | Is or is being?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Latest topics on English Forums
catch up vs. make upMeaning of "off"?Might as well not?increments the number???What does rather than mean and when we use it and how Could you explain on exampWhat does this mean --Extreme sports have taken off in a big way over the last twShould?more important vs. most importantwho could possibly be ringingUsage of Past perfect verb formMeaning of disappearSimple present vs. present perfect progressiveCan I use especially in the first sentence?