notoriety; renown; good reputation
communication
recruit
fame
correlation

Idiom: 'saved by the bell'

Meaning of "An old flame" | Strong collocation: 'to pose a thread'
Idiom: 'saved by the bell' #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:15 am   Idiom: 'saved by the bell'

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #20 "English Idioms and Phrases", question 9

Kyle was saved by the bell when his sister walked in and asked him to take her to ballet practice.

(a) rescued from an unwanted situation
(b) detained from his duty
(c) obligated to comply
(d) obliged to cooperate

ESL/EFL Test #20 "English Idioms and Phrases", answer 9

Kyle was rescued from an unwanted situation when his sister walked in and asked him to take her to ballet practice.

Correct answer: (a) rescued from an unwanted situation

_________________________

Does unwanted situation here mean somewhere around 'luckily unexpected help'? If so, the unwanted would turn into a 'nearly wanted' or even 'welcomed' meaning. How should I make out this phrase?

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Idiom: 'saved by the bell' #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:18 am   Idiom: 'saved by the bell'

Hi Haihao

The idiom "saved by the bell" comes originally from boxing. The end of each round of boxing is signaled by a bell. So, if a boxer is in danger of being knocked out (and thus losing the boxing match) when the bell rings, he has been "saved" from losing the match.

The idiom is used when something unpleasant or unwanted is just about to happen and then, at the last minute, something else happens which prevents the unpleasant activity from taking place.

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: 'saved by the bell' #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:41 am   Idiom: 'saved by the bell'

Hi Amy,

Thank you so much again for the detailed and considerate explanation. Now I guess I understand not only the idiom but the story about it as a bonus! Also, I got aware of my wrong understanding of the word 'from' in reading your depiction.

Gratefully,
haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Meaning of "clammed up"Fantasize vs imagine'didn't have a bean' = 'had no money'?Expression: to wash the dishesWhat does tons mean?Idiom: hold your breath'made a scene' = 'had a fight'?Idiom: ring off the hookExpression: 'have it both ways'Incredible vs. dramatically (adjective vs. adverb)Idiom: run a tight shipMeaning of "rock the boat"How to use the possessive pronouns?