Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

equal; equivalent; of equal rank or authority
portable
robust
unique
coordinate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'made a scene' = 'had a fight'?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
'didn't have a bean' = 'had no money'? | Limitation vs. restriction?
listening exercises
'made a scene' = 'had a fight'? #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:41 am   'made a scene' = 'had a fight'?

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #21 "Expressions with make", question 6

Charity made a scene at the club when she saw her boyfriend dancing with another girl.

(a) played a role
(b) had a fight
(c) hid herself
(d) acted like a fool

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #21 "Expressions with make", answer 6

Charity acted like a fool at the club when she saw her boyfriend dancing with another girl.

Correct answer: (d) acted like a fool

Your answer was: correct

I think (b) is more suitable for 'make a scene' although I chose (d). Which is the best?

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'made a scene' = 'had a fight'? #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:47 am   'made a scene' = 'had a fight'?

Hi,

'Make a scene' suggests that you make a fool of yourself because you are behaving in a stupid way and attracting attention to yourself. It doesn't usually mean 'having a fight'.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Jealous scene #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:28 am   Jealous scene

I can undestand why Haihao relates 'making a scene' to 'having a fight', though. A scene can also have the meaning of 'quarrel' or 'argument' as in 'family scenes'. In the test, however, and as Alan explained, what Charity (inappropriate name in this context!) did was put on a display of temper, as small children sometimes do when they aren't given what they want. We don't know if a fight ensued.
Conchita
Language Coach

'made a scene' = 'had a fight'? #4 (permalink) Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:21 am   'made a scene' = 'had a fight'?

Thank you so much for your considerate explanation and nice to see you, Dona Conchita.

What you said is just what I had felt. Your comments always interest me and make me contemplate for a while. I was very impressed with your sentiment for 'too many Scarllets and not enough Melanies'. I have a similar one to yours. It seems to me that we are doomed to stay short of the chances to meet Melanies because they are so lacking in the capability to show off and always reluctant to show up...

Sorry for the digression. Thanks again. haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'didn't have a bean' = 'had no money'? | Limitation vs. restriction?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Aren't the words 'early to bed, etc.' termed to be a phrase?Idiom: to live off one's payIdioms: sink one's teeth into VERSUS get one's teeth intoResource material for this battery of exercisesMeaning of "clammed up"Fantasize vs imagineExpression: to wash the dishesWhat does tons mean?Idiom: hold your breathStrong collocation: 'to pose a thread'Idiom: 'saved by the bell'Idiom: ring off the hookExpression: 'have it both ways'