realization; carrying out; performing; putting into effect; execution
implementation
index
tool
situation

when not to use preposition?

ESL Forums | English for Beginners
Us vs Br | many vs much.
when not to use preposition? #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 25, 2015 17:53 pm   when not to use preposition?

English is not my first language,but certain phrases such as 'stand up', 'sit down' automatically make me to associate preposition 'up' an 'down' with action 'sit' and stand 'respectively.

But in a country of non-native English speakers I often hear sentences which make me wonder which is correct usage?
1. Do you want to sit? Or Do you want to sit down
No I get down at the next stop.
2. Then you can keep standing. Or Then you can keep standing
Hamids

when not to use preposition? #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 25, 2015 19:45 pm   when not to use preposition?

1. Both possible, but in the implied context (on a coach, bus, train, etc.) 'sit down' would be more usual.
I get off at the next stop.
Then you can remain/stay standing. or Then you can remain/stay standing up.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Us vs Br | many vs much.
ESL Forums | English for Beginners All times are GMT + 1 Hour
many vs much.many vs much.many vs much.ask for vocabulary in department storeDifferent conjunction for same meaning.Learning New English words which don't have corresponding concepts in my native lThey have to match up their liesUse word "Any" in sentenceI need your helpdoesn't vs. does notBest month for SuePersonal profile: My name is Julia Fekete and I'm from Romania. I'm almost 24.Simple Present Questions (Unit 8)