Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

impose a fine on
prompt
construe
mulct
flay
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

the much-abused figure of fun in Pride and Prejudice.

GRE Practice tests Increase your GRE test score with
375+375+100 vocabulary tests
plus 3.750 GRE word flash cards
ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the GRE® Test
Issue writing: If a goal is worthy, then any means taken to attain it are justifi | Chaotic in conception but not in execution, Kelly's canvases are as neat as the
listening exercises
the much-abused figure of fun in Pride and Prejudice. #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 10, 2015 20:48 pm   the much-abused figure of fun in Pride and Prejudice.

In Barron's book I read a statement that I do n't understand it well, would you explain?

the much-abused figure of fun in Pride and Prejudice.
Morvarid798
I'm here quite often ;-)

the much-abused figure of fun in Pride and Prejudice. #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:44 am   the much-abused figure of fun in Pride and Prejudice.

Hmm, it is a little hard to figure out without more context, but…

"much-abused" means people don't think highly of this character. "Figure of fun" implies a character who is included for comic relief - to relieve the tension or drama by using humor.

I Googled the phrase because I was intrigued. The question is contrasting the clergymen brothers James and Henry with Mr. Collins, who I assume is the comic relief. Here maybe "much abused" means the other characters in the book treat him harshly. It really doesn't matter to the question, as it is obvious James and Henry are opposite of Mr. Collins. So James and Henry are deferential, which is proper, while Mr. Collins is sycophantic, which is a synonym of "fawning".
Luschen
I'm a Communicator ;-)

GRE Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 750 free GRE Vocabulary TestsGRE Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise GRE scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportGRE Practice Tests — Learn the most essential GRE vocabulary words you need to pass the GRE with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card system
Issue writing: If a goal is worthy, then any means taken to attain it are justifi | Chaotic in conception but not in execution, Kelly's canvases are as neat as the
ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the GRE® Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on GRE Test Forums
Issue task: funding arts during economic crisisIssue Task: The most important characteristics of a societyArgument Task: Decision making on the content of a magazineArgument writing -Comparing Estate AgentsIssue writing, characteristics of a cityBuckingham College should build a number of new dormitoriesGRE®: Arctic Deerargument: oil demand increaseclaim and reason: experience or imagniationArgument essay: SalicylatesArgument essay: SalicylatesThanks for your help guys -- I did it!Assessing Students on their grasp of facts or their ability to explain concepts