a raised or strengthened seam
welt
trident
jambon
ethos

Chaotic in conception but not in execution, Kelly's canvases are as neat as the

GRE Practice tests Increase your GRE test score with
plus 3.750 GRE word flash cards
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GREŽ Test
the much-abused figure of fun in Pride and Prejudice. | claim and reason: experience or imagniation
Chaotic in conception but not in execution, Kelly's canvases are as neat as the #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 01, 2015 21:29 pm   Chaotic in conception but not in execution, Kelly's canvases are as neat as the

Chaotic in conception but not in execution, Kelly's canvases are as neat as the proverbial pin

could you please describe the above statement for me.
Morvarid798

Chaotic in conception but not in execution, Kelly's canvases are as neat as the #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 01, 2015 23:52 pm   Chaotic in conception but not in execution, Kelly's canvases are as neat as the

This is the 3rd time I've tried to explain this having been logged out twice, so I'm going for the short version this time...

'To be as neat as a pin' is a simile which just means something is very neat.
'Proverbial' actually means 'in the sense used in a proverb' and even though this simile is not actually a proverb, the writer is using the same expression.

The author is saying that the artist, Kelly, may produce paintings which look chaotic, but in fact he has very deliberately worked neatly and carefully to achieve that apparent chaos... he works hard to make his painting appear chaotic.
So although his idea is to make something appear chaotic, that is not what actually happens - he executes the work (carries out the work) carefully, and not in a chaotic fashion.
_________________

GRE Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 750 free GRE Vocabulary TestsGRE Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise GRE scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportGRE Practice Tests — Learn the most essential GRE vocabulary words you need to pass the GRE with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card system
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GREŽ Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on GRE Test Forums
Educators and studentsIssue task: funding arts during economic crisisIssue Task: The most important characteristics of a societyArgument Task: Decision making on the content of a magazineArgument writing -Comparing Estate AgentsIssue writing, characteristics of a cityBuckingham College should build a number of new dormitoriesGREŽ: Arctic Deerargument: oil demand increaseIssue writing: If a goal is worthy, then any means taken to attain it are justifiArgument essay: SalicylatesArgument essay: SalicylatesThanks for your help guys -- I did it!