Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

confusing; hard to understand; difficult; complex
rubber
bulk
useful
complicated
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What is the meaning of "hold any stock"?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
screen vs fritz | Phrasal verb "start off" vs. "begin"
listening exercises
What is the meaning of "hold any stock"? #1 (permalink) Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:14 am   What is the meaning of "hold any stock"?

Hi! Would you please explain what is the meaning of "hold any stock"? I did not find
explanation anywhere. Thank you in advance! With kind regards, Oinas.
Oinas
You can meet me at english-test.net

What is the meaning of "hold any stock"? #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:18 pm   What is the meaning of "hold any stock"?

Without any additional context, I would say it means don't release any more of that particular item from the place that it is so that it can be sold.
Language Coach

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Re: What is the meaning of "hold any stock"? #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:58 am   Re: What is the meaning of "hold any stock"?

I came here looking for some good news, but I am not surprised that there is none. The phrase in question is an idiom that apparently is not in used in U.K. English.

[quote="Oinas"]Hi! Would you please explain the meaning of "hold any stock"?
"hold any stock" is an idiom that is usually used in the negative.
'I don't hold any stock in what he says.' means means that I don't believe what he says.
The following is a sentence I found online. "Personally I don't hold any stock in the rumors."
Canadian45
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What is the meaning of "hold any stock"? #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:22 am   What is the meaning of "hold any stock"?

It is used in UK English, but without a context I did not read it as idiomatic.
Thank you. You are probably right that this definition is what was needed.
Language Coach

screen vs fritz | Phrasal verb "start off" vs. "begin"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Test 641 number 9 "you get what you pay for" vs "you get what youIt has stopped raining/the rain has stoppedTest incompl/inter-292, Question 9Do / Did you have to.................today?The use of groundsa little vs. a bitdifference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..."enticementplaying with a full deck of cardsIf I were you? Subjuntive?odvious vs obviousExpression: "Yes, I'll hold"meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."