Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to make new again; to renovate; to restore to good condition
deal
refurbish
will
withdraw
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression: 'hard of hearing'

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does the word 'stash' mean? | Prepositions before nouns?
listening exercises
Expression: 'hard of hearing' #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:49 pm   Expression: 'hard of hearing'

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #20 "English Idioms and Phrases", question 1

You have to raise your voice a little when talking to him. He's a little hard of hearing.

(a) stubborn
(b) quiet when he speaks
(c) deaf
(d) distracted

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #20 "English Idioms and Phrases", answer 1

You have to raise your voice a little when talking to him. He's a little deaf.

Correct answer: (c) deaf

what's the meaning of the sentence?

elvirca
elvirca

Expression: 'hard of hearing' #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 14:02 pm   Expression: 'hard of hearing'

The sentence means that, since he has difficulty in hearing, you have to speak more loudly when talking to him.
Conchita
Language Coach

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
"He's hard of listening" vs "He's hard of hearing" #3 (permalink) Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:47 am   "He's hard of listening" vs "He's hard of hearing"

Dear Torsten,
I just did another test and I made a mistake .My sentence is "He's hard of listening" but the correct answer is "He's hard of hearing". Why can't we use the word listening instead of hearing. Can you explain? Thanks :D
Thy

Expression: 'hard of hearing' #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:51 am   Expression: 'hard of hearing'

I use to say hard of hearing. You can also say hearing impaired. Well I haven't listen to the text yet and I don't know if I can hear it as I am hard of hearing. I am both Swedish and hard of hearing. I don't which handicap is the worst. When I watch DVD's with subtitles I have to watch it in half speed for being able to read and understand the subtitles.
/Maria
MariaEbb
I'm here quite often ;-)

hard of hearing #5 (permalink) Tue Apr 27, 2010 23:50 pm   hard of hearing

I would like knowing the meaning of the expression HARD OF HEARING.

If somebody says that someone is hard of hearing. Is he saying that he does not understand easily, i. e. that it is difficult for him to understand, or that he has difficulty for hearing because he has an audition problem?

Regards.
Lobo
I'm here quite often ;-)

Expression: 'hard of hearing' #6 (permalink) Wed Apr 28, 2010 0:14 am   Expression: 'hard of hearing'

He/she has difficulties in hearing.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression: 'hard of hearing' #7 (permalink) Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:38 am   Expression: 'hard of hearing'

Hi Lobo,

As far as I know, when someone who is [hard of hearing] is someone who has difficulty in hearing because of physical problems / defects. Someone who do not understand instructions easily isn't always someone who is [hard of hearing].

I might just be my feelings, but I didn't think that the expression is quite natural. I am used to refer to these type of disability by [hearing impaired].

P.s : Please revise my answer should you find a more valid reference.
I'm here quite often ;-)

Expression: 'hard of hearing' #8 (permalink) Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:15 am   Expression: 'hard of hearing'

Someone who is hard of hearing has difficulty hearing because of physical problems, as Youscream says.
It's a common expression though these days a climate of political correctness means that formally, a phrase such as 'hearing impaired' would be used. (Around this area, at least, you wouldn't hear anyone telling anyone else that they were hearing impaired. They'd say they were hard of hearing, or maybe even 'I'm a little deaf'.)
Language Coach

HARD OF HEARING #9 (permalink) Thu Apr 29, 2010 0:28 am   HARD OF HEARING

I want to thank everybody for the explanation. Now I understand the meaning and the use of such an expression.

Regards
Lobo
I'm here quite often ;-)

Expression: 'hard of hearing' #10 (permalink) Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:29 am   Expression: 'hard of hearing'

Hi everybody,
If I want sombody to talk less loudly, what should I say to them?
thanks for answering me.
Best regards
Fatma zohra
Fatma Zohra
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Expression: 'hard of hearing' #11 (permalink) Wed Jan 26, 2011 15:35 pm   Expression: 'hard of hearing'

Can you speak quietly/quieter, please.
Language Coach

What does the word 'stash' mean? | Prepositions before nouns?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
a left-handed complimentthe primary marketinflation accountingAre you driving?Pompeii would remain buried....What does 'let's do lunch mean'?what sould we say?the imposter dissembledon our wayseek legal advice.choosing the right wordHold your horsesPompeii sits on a spur of lava...