Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

against; opposed
step
counter
photo
ad
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Idiom: to live off one's pay

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Idioms: sink one's teeth into VERSUS get one's teeth into | Noise was used with the sense of rumours
listening exercises
Idiom: to live off one's pay #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:16 am   Idiom: to live off one's pay

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #6 "Live up to", question 5

He also managed to live off his pay without any problems.

(a) put up with
(b) exist easily on
(c) just get by on
(d) take care of

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #6 "Live up to", answer 5

He also managed to exist easily on his pay without any problems.

Correct answer: (b) exist easily on

Your answer was: incorrect
He also managed to just get by on his pay without any problems.

I thought 'live off' = 'get by on' = 'exist on'. The problem is 'easily or 'just'. Can I understand it this way? I can't give the reasons very well but I feel (b) is better to fit the context but (c) safer to fit the meaning. That's my problem....
haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Idiom: to live off one's pay #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:54 am   Idiom: to live off one's pay

Haihao

Yes, the presence of easily or just makes a big difference. You have to consider the whole sentence when you choose the best answer. "without any problems" means that you should choose "exist easily on".

If the sentence said 'He managed to live off his pay, but with some difficulty.' you would choose "just get by on".
Canadian45
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: to live off one's pay #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:29 am   Idiom: to live off one's pay

I got it! Uncle Canadian, :D Thank you!

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Idioms: sink one's teeth into VERSUS get one's teeth into | Noise was used with the sense of rumours
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is the difference between "whom" and "who"?Be able to inspire VERSUS be able to inspiringExpression: to be up for somethingIdiom: face the musicIn home versus at homeMeaning of 'non-refundable'Aren't the words 'early to bed, etc.' termed to be a phrase?Resource material for this battery of exercisesMeaning of "clammed up"Fantasize vs imagine'didn't have a bean' = 'had no money'?Expression: to wash the dishes'made a scene' = 'had a fight'?