to smooth wood; to make smooth; to remove rough areas
monetize
guess
disclaim
plane

Aren't the words 'early to bed, etc.' termed to be a phrase?

Noise was used with the sense of rumours | Meaning of 'non-refundable'
Aren't the words 'early to bed, etc.' termed to be a phrase? #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:24 am   Aren't the words 'early to bed, etc.' termed to be a phrase?

ESL/EFL Test #91 "Advanced Vocabulary", question 1

He always follows that old .........: early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

(a) phrase
(b) ballad
(c) adage
(d) analogy

ESL/EFL Test #91 "Advanced Vocabulary", answer 1

He always follows that old adage: early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

Correct answer: (c) adage

He always follows that old phrase: early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
_________________________

Aren't the words 'early to bed, etc...' termed to be a phrase? what is the meaning of 'adage'?

gidi
gidi

Adage #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:18 am   Adage

An adage or proverb is a phrase which is often used and has a moral, in other words, it teaches you something.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression 'hit the nail on the head'Become weaker vs. lose standardsWhat is the difference between "whom" and "who"?Be able to inspire VERSUS be able to inspiringExpression: to be up for somethingIdiom: face the musicIn home versus at homeIdiom: to live off one's payIdioms: sink one's teeth into VERSUS get one's teeth intoResource material for this battery of exercisesMeaning of "clammed up"Fantasize vs imagine'made a scene' = 'had a fight'?