to set some distance apart
underestimate
space
relocate
foresee

In home versus at home

Meaning of 'non-refundable' | Idiom: face the music
In home versus at home #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 16:42 pm   In home versus at home

ESL/EFL Test #43 "Basic English Grammar", question 3

My sister is ......... home today.

(a) at
(b) in
(c) the
(d) on

ESL/EFL Test #43 "Basic English Grammar", answer 3

My sister is at home today.

Correct answer: (a) at

_________________________

I chose right answer.
But why can't I express "my sister is in home today"

thank you
Shimano
Shimano

In home versus at home #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 20:23 pm   In home versus at home

When to use 'at' or 'in' can be very confusing and sometimes either word can be used.
We can say "My sister is in the house" but we say "My sister is at home".

You can look at it this way: a home is more a place, not just a thing. A house/apartment is
more a thing. A person at home may not be in their house/apartment. They may be outside the house, perhaps in their yard or they may have taken a walk down the street. So we say at home, and we also say at work.
Canadian45

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Idiom: 'to mind your own business'Expression 'hit the nail on the head'Become weaker vs. lose standards"make" versus "build up"What is the difference between "whom" and "who"?Be able to inspire VERSUS be able to inspiringExpression: to be up for somethingAren't the words 'early to bed, etc.' termed to be a phrase?Idiom: to live off one's payIdioms: sink one's teeth into VERSUS get one's teeth intoResource material for this battery of exercisesMeaning of "clammed up"Fantasize vs imagine