about
within
concerning
below
opposite

Idiom: face the music

In home versus at home | Expression: to be up for something
Idiom: face the music #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:03 am   Idiom: face the music

ESL/EFL Test #217 "American English Idioms", question 1

Even though Tom was afraid of heights, he was determined to face the music so he slowly pulled himself up the ladder. What is the meaning of 'face the music'? .........

(a) deal with a problem or fear
(b) run away from a problem or fear
(c) create a problem or fear
(d) hide the truth

ESL/EFL Test #217 "American English Idioms", answer 1

Even though Tom was afraid of heights, he was determined to face the music so he slowly pulled himself up the ladder. What is the meaning of 'face the music'? deal with a problem or fear

Correct answer: (a) deal with a problem or fear
_________________________

what's the meaning? Please
ralph

Idiom: face the music #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:00 am   Idiom: face the music

The meaning of face the music is given in the solution to the test question (a: deal with a problem or fear).
Another way to describe it is "to meet, take, or accept the consequences of one's mistakes, actions, etc."

You can also check various online dictionaries here
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Those vs. theseIdiom: 'to mind your own business'Expression 'hit the nail on the head'Become weaker vs. lose standards"make" versus "build up"What is the difference between "whom" and "who"?Be able to inspire VERSUS be able to inspiringMeaning of 'non-refundable'Aren't the words 'early to bed, etc.' termed to be a phrase?Idiom: to live off one's payIdioms: sink one's teeth into VERSUS get one's teeth intoResource material for this battery of exercisesMeaning of "clammed up"