Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

confusing; hard to understand; difficult; complex
rubber
bulk
useful
complicated
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Complicated Question

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
which title is correct | Changing or not changing times in reported speech
listening exercises
Complicated Question #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 06, 2016 20:37 pm   Complicated Question

1. Iran reverse auctions
2. Iran government
3. Iran's reverse auctions
4. Iran's government (correct)
5. Iranian reverse auction (correct)
6. Iranian government (correct)

Hello,
I have asked this question in 3 different language forums but the answers that native English speakers give me differ and are not the same. So, that's why I am confused.

Some say 1 is correct and some say it's incorrect.
Some say 2 is correct and some say it's incorrect.
Some say 3 is correct and some say it's incorrect.

I am confused.

Would you please be kind enough to tell me what you think about 1, 2 and 3?

Thank you.

Complicated Question #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 07, 2016 0:12 am   Complicated Question

The question is without context and that is the only thing that makes it complicated. These are just phrases, not even sentences.

2. is wrong. It would be 'Iranian Government', 'Government of Iran' or 'Iran's Government'. You would not say 'Britain Government' or 'America Government'.
1. is wrong for a similar reason.
Whether 3 is wrong or not depends on context.
Language Coach

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Re: Complicated Question #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:14 am   Re: Complicated Question

Quote:
1. Iran reverse auctions.
This is a correct sentence since we can treat 'Iran' as a plural noun and 'reverse' as a plural verb.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Complicated Question #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:30 am   Complicated Question

You are clouding the issue in your desperate measures to prove me wrong, as from the other phrases it is obvious that it is not the intention to use 'reverse' as a verb here, but even if you were to do it would be incorrect. 'Iran' would not be a plural noun.
Iran reverses (its) auctions.
Iranians/Iranian people reverse (their) auctions.
Language Coach

Complicated Question #5 (permalink) Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:14 am   Complicated Question

That's a misread! In the field of Sports we often use a 'team' or a 'country' as plural. So I suggested a possibility though I knew that the word 'reverse' was used as an adjective in the given question. A country cannot reverse the auctions of others. It's the government not people. Sentences like 'Iran welcome friendly ties with India' and 'Iran beat India in exports' and 'Iran impose sanctions on some countries' are acceptable. The actual question/complication looks like whether Iran, Iran's and Iranian are interchangeable, though.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Complicated Question #6 (permalink) Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:47 pm   Complicated Question

Please stop misleading learners with such strange views. The examples you cite are not correct.
Language Coach

Complicated Question #7 (permalink) Thu Jul 07, 2016 13:09 pm   Complicated Question

Please stop to confirm from other native speakers whether my examples are correct. You can also see that nobody else has raised their eyebrows at them yet. Let's wait for other comments.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Complicated Question #8 (permalink) Thu Jul 07, 2016 15:55 pm   Complicated Question

You don't need anyone to 'raise their eyebrows' any more than I need further confirmation.

Iran welcomes a new era.
Iranians welcome a new era.
Language Coach

which title is correct | Changing or not changing times in reported speech
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
as you see themA book or website teaching similar words differencesThose boys chattingwithout me askingHaving beenUse of commaUsing gerund phraseHow could technology eliminate those tasks?Dear Sir or Dear sir?If Some Day...She asked meas isthe same level