Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to carry; to encourage; to assist financially; to substantiate
support
fold
agree
supervise
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Changing or not changing times in reported speech

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Complicated Question | Dear Sir or Dear sir?
listening exercises
Changing or not changing times in reported speech #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 08, 2016 15:29 pm   Changing or not changing times in reported speech

A. "Must you leave now?" he asked us. He asked us if we had to leave.
B. "Must you leave now?" he asked us. He asked us if we had to leave then.

Hello,
What happens if I don't add "then" at the end of the sentence A?
I sometimes see that native English speakers do not use or change or backshift times in their indirect speech.

e.g.

now => then
tonight => last night
today => yesterday
tomorrow => today
etc.

In my sentence A isn't it wrong if I have not changed "now" to "then" at the end of the sentence? Isn't it a mistake?

Thank you.

Changing or not changing times in reported speech #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 08, 2016 16:12 pm   Changing or not changing times in reported speech

The reason for leaving out 'then' is actually to avoid confusion regarding which point we are talking about when reporting at a later time.

Reporting using direct speech:
Before we left he asked us "must you leave now?" << Here 'now' indicates the time at/just after which he spoke to you.

Reporting without direct speech:
Before we left he asked us if we had to leave.
Before we left he asked us if we had to leave then. << Here, 'then' indicates the time before you left when he spoke to you.
-there is no significant difference in the meaning of these two sentences. The speaker has probably simply decided to avoid any confusion about the use of 'now' or 'then' by ignoring it completely.
Language Coach

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Changing or not changing times in reported speech #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 08, 2016 16:45 pm   Changing or not changing times in reported speech

Thank you but in text book grammar exercises or university exams about such sentences, how should we know that we should change the time or leave it out?
As "now" and "then".

Changing or not changing times in reported speech #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 08, 2016 17:26 pm   Changing or not changing times in reported speech

If it's a grammar exercise, you are likely to be expected to change it (so that you demonstrate you know the difference).
Language Coach

Re: Changing or not changing times in reported speech #5 (permalink) Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:09 am   Re: Changing or not changing times in reported speech

Quote:
... .
e.g.
now => then
tonight => last night
today => yesterday
tomorrow => today
etc. . ..
I think you mean that the changes suggested for the last three adverbs above will be correct only if the speech is reported the very next day. If reported much later, they will change into 'that night', 'that day' and 'the following day' respectively.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Complicated Question | Dear Sir or Dear sir?
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
as you see themA book or website teaching similar words differencesThose boys chattingwithout me askingHaving beenUse of commaUsing gerund phraseHow could technology eliminate those tasks?which title is correctIf Some Day...She asked meas isthe same level