Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to include; to hold back; to restrain; to keep under control
contain
influence
slander
describe
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

How could technology eliminate those tasks?

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Those boys chatting | A book or website teaching similar words differences
listening exercises
How could technology eliminate those tasks? #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:15 am   How could technology eliminate those tasks?

Hello everyone,

This is from the book Act like a leader, Think like a leader.

Historically, strategy and vision were indeed handed down from the top. But technology has profoundly altered that neat division of labor, eliminating many of the tasks—performance monitoring, instant feedback, and reports and presentations—that were staples of managerial work even five years ago. Increasingly, executives are required to shift their emphasis from improving current operations and performance indicators to shaping a common understanding of the organization’s present environment and its desired future direction.

I can't understand what the author's thought is regarding technology, how could it eliminate those tasks? Who, for example, and how should monitor employees' performance, who should prepare reports? The CEOs themselves? And the CEO's themselves now give feedback to employees?

Thank you.
Klpno
I'm here quite often ;-)

How could technology eliminate those tasks? #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 am   How could technology eliminate those tasks?

It just means that more people, lower down the corporate ladder than the executives right at the top, have become involved in the strategy and vision of a company - it's not saying the CEOs do those things. It's saying that it's now easier to prepare, provide and share information, so more time is available for those other than CEOs to become involved in the bigger decisions - and the technology also enables them to be informed enough to be able to do so.
Language Coach

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
How could technology eliminate those tasks? #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:58 am   How could technology eliminate those tasks?

Thank you, Beeesneees.
Klpno
I'm here quite often ;-)

Those boys chatting | A book or website teaching similar words differences
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
made meaning of her lifesuitcasedeciding/decisionembarrassEnteringyourselfas you see themwithout me askingHaving beenUse of commaUsing gerund phraseAllowing for InflationChanging or not changing times in reported speech