Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

mathematical value or its symbol; indefinite amount; quantity of; sum
equal
scope
advertisement
number
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

A book or website teaching similar words differences

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
How could technology eliminate those tasks? | as you see them
listening exercises
A book or website teaching similar words differences #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:31 am   A book or website teaching similar words differences

Hello,
I'm looking for a book to download from the Internet but I don't know what such a book is called in English.
I'm looking for a book which explains the difference between similar books:

e. .g

eat vs. have
in street vs. on street
fall vs. autumn
soccer vs. football
buy vs. purchase

etc.

What do you call such book? Do you yourself have such a book? Or do you know a website like this to explains these kinds of words differences?

I'm stuck, I don't know what to type on Google, so that I can find a guidance or a book or a website teaching these differences to us.

Thank you.

Re: A book or website teaching similar words differences #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 10, 2016 16:11 pm   Re: A book or website teaching similar words differences

Quote:
What do you call such a book?
It can be a Book of Synonyms.

Quote:
I'm stuck, I don't know what to type on Google, so that I can find a guidance or a book or a website teaching these differences to us.
You can just type 'Difference between 'buy' and 'purchase'; Difference between 'soccer' and 'football'; Difference between 'fall' and 'autumn' etc.

A search on this forum will give you more comments including that of Alan. (http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic24802.html)

Two other results of my Google search for the difference between 'buy and purchase' are as follows:

1. There is some difference between them, specifically regarding the contexts in which they may be used. Buying is considered a general term, which is most commonly used to refer to everyday goods and commodities, while, purchase is considered to be a more formal word than buy.

2. Generally speaking they mean the same thing, but "purchase" is of a higher register than "buy". So in most informal contexts it would sound weird if you used "puchase" as in "go purchase some eggs". However, "purchase" functions as a noun to mean that which is bought ("after I make my purchase", "the purchase of the house"), while "buy" is solely a verb.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
How could technology eliminate those tasks? | as you see them
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Who polices the policemade meaning of her lifesuitcasedeciding/decisionembarrassEnteringyourselfThose boys chattingwithout me askingHaving beenUse of commaUsing gerund phraseAllowing for Inflation