to exchange one thing for another; to trade; to barter
transcend
broadcast
tow
swap

made meaning of her life

embarrass | Who polices the police
made meaning of her life #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 11, 2016 14:54 pm   made meaning of her life

Hello everyone,

About Margaret Thatcher:

Did you know that she grew up in a home that had no indoor plumbing? Her father believed in austerity and made no concessions for anything not essential. This and many other formative experiences profoundly shaped Thatcher’s beliefs as a politician. She used herself as a metaphor for what she felt was missing in the United Kingdom: a sense of self-determination and redemption through hard work and delayed gratification. She made meaning of her life in a way that aligned with what she wanted the British people to understand and buy into, and it was the meaning she infused into her policies, and not the policies themselves, that got them through.

Does "She made meaning of her life" mean that she used her life as an example to convey some ideas to people?

Klpno

Re: made meaning of her life #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 11, 2016 17:04 pm   Re: made meaning of her life

I'd say yes; she made her life so meaningful (practicable) as to be in tune with her philosophy of austerity shaped by her own experience.
_________________
Anglophile
I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Anglophile

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
made meaning of her life #3 (permalink) Mon Jul 11, 2016 17:17 pm   made meaning of her life

Thank you, Anglophile.
Klpno

embarrass | Who polices the police
The / without "the" at the beginning of the titles of the organizationsuse of thenduring then-Only you[,]limited to one functionAre these sentences natural to a native ear? July 12, 20165 dollar worth (?)The ministry of the/interior of ......liking/likesuitcasedeciding/decisionEnteringyourself