Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

type of dessert; cake; baked dish consisting of a crust and filling
assortment
violation
raise
pie
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

5 dollar worth (?)

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
The ministry of the/interior of ...... | Are these sentences natural to a native ear? July 12, 2016
listening exercises
5 dollar worth (?) #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:32 am   5 dollar worth (?)

Hello,

I have a question on the sentence below:

I want to put in 5 dollar worth of gas.

I think "5 dollar" here should be changed to: 5-dollar or 5 dollars'. Do you think I'm right? Are there any possible changes? Please let me know.

Thank you in advance,
sweetpumpkin
Sweetpumpkin
I'm here quite often ;-)

5 dollar worth (?) #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:15 am   5 dollar worth (?)

five dollars-worth
Language Coach

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
5 dollar worth (?) #3 (permalink) Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:52 pm   5 dollar worth (?)

Hi,
As is often with English grammar, there are some party-poopers\naysayers coming up with an alternative:
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/25749/thousand-dollars-worth-or-thousand-dollars-worth-is-this-a-possessive

P.S. It's true about "Two Weeks Notice"--you can find it both with\without an apostrophe. In abundance.
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

5 dollar worth (?) #4 (permalink) Tue Jul 12, 2016 13:26 pm   5 dollar worth (?)

Since it is not five dollars, but gas worth five dollars that he wants to put in, I think 'five-dollar worth' or 'five dollars' worth' should be more acceptable as suggested by the poster.

As you say, there is a growing tendency to drop the apostrophe and write the phrases as 'two weeks notice', 'medicos association', 'senior citizens forum' etc.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

5 dollar worth (?) #5 (permalink) Tue Jul 12, 2016 13:28 pm   5 dollar worth (?)

I disagree that the singular form of 'dollar' would work here (however you choose to view it 'five' requires a plural), however else you choose to punctuate it (and in modern use, as noted, there is a lot of flexibility with regard to the punctuation).
Language Coach

5 dollar worth (?) #6 (permalink) Tue Jul 12, 2016 13:40 pm   5 dollar worth (?)

Flexibility is welcome when there is no confusion about comprehending the meaning the writer wants to convey.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

The ministry of the/interior of ...... | Are these sentences natural to a native ear? July 12, 2016
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
cannotI know notforgot / was forgotThe / without "the" at the beginning of the titles of the organizationsuse of thenduring then-participleOnly you[,]limited to one functionWho polices the policeliking/likemade meaning of her lifesuitcase