part; portion; slice; piece
achievement
segment
receipt
climate

Are these sentences natural to a native ear? July 12, 2016

5 dollar worth (?) | limited to one function
Are these sentences natural to a native ear? July 12, 2016 #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 12, 2016 21:40 pm   Are these sentences natural to a native ear? July 12, 2016

Are these sentences natural to a native ear?

1. I will get back to you on the timing after discussing with the boss. ( I said this to a colleague who wanted to know the approximate time when we were going to release a report. )
2. Do we fly to New York on 18th evening or 19th morning?
3. Given your math skills, you must have had a really tough time in graduate school! (I was joking with a friend)

Musicgold

Re: Are these sentences natural to a native ear? July 12, 2016 #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 12, 2016 22:35 pm   Re: Are these sentences natural to a native ear? July 12, 2016

Musicgold wrote:

ok, but "the boss" sounds a bit odd to me - I would probably say "my boss", "your boss", "our boss" or whatever the case may be
I would say "on the evening of the 18th or the morning of the 19th"
sounds good to me

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Are these sentences natural to a native ear? July 12, 2016 #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 13, 2016 0:40 am   Are these sentences natural to a native ear? July 12, 2016

'The boss' is fine for me. Maybe a UK/US difference?
_________________

All despitecannotI know notforgot / was forgotThe / without "the" at the beginning of the titles of the organizationsuse of thenduring then-participleOnly you[,]The ministry of the/interior of ......Who polices the policeliking/likemade meaning of her life