Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

under the rule of; subordinate; exposed to; liable to; conditional
irrelevant
above
subject
token
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

The / without "the" at the beginning of the titles of the organizations

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
use of then | forgot / was forgot
listening exercises
The / without "the" at the beginning of the titles of the organizations #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 14, 2016 22:14 pm   The / without "the" at the beginning of the titles of the organizations

1. The Judicial System of Iran
2. Judicial System of Iran

3. The Judiciary of Iran
4. Judiciary of Iran

5. The Judicature of Iran
6. Judicature of Iran

As the name of the organizations by themselves, 1, 3 and 5 are correct.
As the name is used in some contexts, 2, 4 and 6 are correct.

Am I right?

Thank you.

Re: The / without "the" at the beginning of the titles of the organizat #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:47 am   Re: The / without "the" at the beginning of the titles of the organizat

The use of articles, especially the non definite, is a hard nut to crack for foreign users of English. In reality, even native users are not consistent, always. There are often varying opinions.

I'd use 'the' in the above examples mostly in three contexts: to make a specific reference, to draw a comparison and to lay some emphasis. However, as standalone phrases they should be acceptable with or without the article. Let's see what native users of English have to say about this oft-asked question.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
use of then | forgot / was forgot
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Teachers, journalists, police and judges alike have been caught in a net authoritfailing the examSpecially that / sinceit had never happened before.Dare to sbKey to a destective storyAll despitecannotI know notduring then-participleOnly you[,]limited to one functionAre these sentences natural to a native ear? July 12, 2016