Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to sway; to oscillate; to vacillate; to fluctuate
surprise
dispense
waver
clock
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Specially that / sinceit had never happened before.

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Teachers, journalists, police and judges alike have been caught in a net authorit | From the New York Times
listening exercises
Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 19, 2016 14:16 pm   Specially that / sinceit had never happened before.

It worries me that the letter hasn't arrived, specially …… it had never happened before.

a)since (Answer Key)
b)that
c)though
d)further

Source: school exam

Hello,
Option B (that) works for me. Why doesn't B work for you?

I mean "specially that it had never happened before." makes sense. I don't know why B (that) can not work in the above question.

Any guidance?

Thank you.

Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 19, 2016 15:00 pm   Specially that / sinceit had never happened before.

I would certainly stick with ‘especially’ in your example--especially since it is a sentence for a school exam.

“Especially or specially?
When it comes to the adjectival forms, especially should always be used. It modifies a verb, adverb or adjective and means “particularly” or “exceptionally”:...”
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/especially-vs-specially/

(‘Since’ = for the reason that; because—“delegates were delighted, since better protection of rhino reserves will help protect other rare species")
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. #3 (permalink) Tue Jul 19, 2016 15:23 pm   Specially that / sinceit had never happened before.

Thank you.

And which tense do you choose for the rest of the sentence?

I mean:

1. It worries me that the letter hasn't arrived, especially since it has never happened before.

2. It worries me that the letter hasn't arrived, especially since it had never happened before.

Which one do you use? 1 or 2?

Thank you.

Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. #4 (permalink) Tue Jul 19, 2016 15:44 pm   Specially that / sinceit had never happened before.

I'd use 2): past perfect as a sign that the situation\state that existed before, changed and the letter hasn't arrived.
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. #5 (permalink) Tue Jul 19, 2016 15:56 pm   Specially that / sinceit had never happened before.

I think the tense of the original sentence is skewed.

It worries me that the letter hasn't arrived, especially since it has never happened before.

It worried me that the letter hadn't arrived, especially since it had never happened before.
Language Coach

Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. #6 (permalink) Tue Jul 19, 2016 16:21 pm   Specially that / sinceit had never happened before.

Beeesneees wrote:
... . It worries me that the letter hasn't arrived, especially since it has never happened before. ...
So, Bev, don't you think that since this is more suitable in the context, the question is not properly set?
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. #7 (permalink) Tue Jul 19, 2016 23:51 pm   Specially that / sinceit had never happened before.

I'm not sure what else you would think this means:
Beeesneees wrote:
I think the tense of the original sentence is skewed.

Language Coach

Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. #8 (permalink) Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:09 am   Specially that / sinceit had never happened before.

Yes, we call such questions defective.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. #9 (permalink) Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:57 am   Specially that / sinceit had never happened before.

I’ll try to speak up for the authors of the sentence, tense-wise.
Of course, ‘it has never happened before’ is leading overwhelmingly in the net, still look at: “The world that had supported me up until now [= before] is breaking up and falling away! I can't even stand up any more!" says the character…”
Not a ‘one action preceding another in the past’ case; the moment of speaking is also at present.
Compare it with “It worries me that the letter hasn't arrived, especially since it had never happened before.” [= up until now\up until this time]
I fail to spot the difference. My point: while not the best-worded test question, it still can make sense with Past Perf too. (?)
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. #10 (permalink) Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:09 am   Specially that / sinceit had never happened before.

And if you read it this way:
It worries me [continuously] that the letter hasn't arrived [this time], especially since it had never happened before. [= up until now we always had them delivered]
Still Past Perf irrrelevant?..
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. #11 (permalink) Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:08 am   Specially that / sinceit had never happened before.

No it doesn't work at all.

Using the past perfect you would need another defined point where a letter hadn't arrived.
It worries me that the letter hasn't arrived, especially as it had never happened before that mix-up with the mail last month.
- but then that doesn't make any logical sense. You would expect:
It worries me that the letter hasn't arrived, specially since the same thing happened last month.
Language Coach

Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. #12 (permalink) Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:20 am   Specially that / sinceit had never happened before.

Then how would you comment on: “The world that had supported me up until now is breaking up and falling away! I can't even stand up any more!" says the character…” with no defined points in the past?..
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. #13 (permalink) Wed Jul 20, 2016 15:49 pm   Specially that / sinceit had never happened before.

I;d say the author was (in this case) Japanese and either he got it wrong or the person who translated the original work from Japanese to English got it wrong. It should be 'the world that has supported me up until now...' or 'the world that had supported me up until (this problem started, etc.)...'
Language Coach

Teachers, journalists, police and judges alike have been caught in a net authorit | From the New York Times
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
I wish it wouldn't/didn't rain rain so often here.Because I didn't leave home earlier, I have missed the first part of the play.bigger presenceNeither the next day / nor the next dayup and down the ticketI'm looking for a placeClarification requiredbondingfailing the examDare to sbKey to a destective storyAll despitecannot