Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

agreement; business transaction; exchange; amount
semester
consultant
labor
deal
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

From the New York Times

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. | Clarification required
listening exercises
From the New York Times #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:00 am   From the New York Times

Quote:
And while no outsider can know what goes on inside another’s marriage, you can’t help feeling some of the joy of that union. They still finish each other’s sentences.
What does the highlighted sentence mean? Is 'to finish each other's sentences' an idiom? (Of course this is about President Obama)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

From the New York Times #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:23 am   From the New York Times

They know each other so well they are able to second-guess what they will say or do before they say/do it. It can also be taken to hint that they are of one accord.
Language Coach

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
From the New York Times #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:29 am   From the New York Times

Two questions:
1. Is it an idiomatic expression?
2. What does the word 'still' signify?
I'm a Communicator ;-)

From the New York Times #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:04 am   From the New York Times

1. Partially. It is sometimes used literally, and has a basis in its literal meaning, so I wouldn't really say so - though there is an element of it because it does not often indicate that you would hear them doing. Maybe it is one of those expressions which is become increasingly idiomatic as time progresses.
2. That they have been doing so for a long time. I think the hint that they are of one accord is relevant here, and this indicates that they are stil of the same mind after many years.
Language Coach

From the New York Times #5 (permalink) Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:53 am   From the New York Times

--Nice trop to me.

Just a couple of examples: “Loving couples: In a world where 40 percent of marriages end in divorce, you can't help but notice them. There they are, finishing each other's sentences or laughing in some dusky corner of a Chinese restaurant. They seem so wonderfully in sync,..”;

“There are many possible signs of compatibility, but these are too powerful to ignore.... • You can finish each other's sentences. It's a giant cliché, but if you do find yourselves finishing each other's sentences, it could be a sign of deep compatibility. After all, great minds do think alike.”
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

From the New York Times #6 (permalink) Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:06 am   From the New York Times

Thanks to both of you. Yes, the couple are loving each other so much so that they understand perfectly and listen patiently in a mutually compatible manner. A model couple, indeed!
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Specially that / sinceit had never happened before. | Clarification required
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
unappealing aspirationI wish it wouldn't/didn't rain rain so often here.Because I didn't leave home earlier, I have missed the first part of the play.bigger presenceNeither the next day / nor the next dayup and down the ticketI'm looking for a placebondingTeachers, journalists, police and judges alike have been caught in a net authoritfailing the examDare to sbKey to a destective storyAll despite