Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to put into a stable; to delay; to check the progress of
sort
assist
concur
stall
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Neither the next day / nor the next day

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
up and down the ticket | A man killed
listening exercises
Neither the next day / nor the next day #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:15 am   Neither the next day / nor the next day

He didn't pay off his debt that day, the next day.
a)neither
b)either
c)not
d)nor (Answer Key)

Hello,
Why can't A (neither) also work here?
I have many examples that show that "neither" can be used with "don't" or didn't":

1. 'I don't have any money.' 'Neither do I.'
2. Tom didn't believe a word she said, and neither did the police.
3. 'I don't like horror movies.' ' Me neither.'
4. The authorities were not sympathetic to the students' demands, neither would they tolerate any disruption.

Why can't "neither" work in my test?

Thank you.

Neither the next day / nor the next day #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:43 am   Neither the next day / nor the next day

You would need to include the subject and verb in the second sentence for that to work.
He didn't pay off his debt that day. Neither/Nor did he pay it off the next day.

As the original sentence stands, 'nor' indicates the negative alternative because the subject and verb is not repeated in the second phrase. "Neither the next day" is not possible.
He didn't pay off his debt that day, nor the next day.
Language Coach

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Neither the next day / nor the next day #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:34 pm   Neither the next day / nor the next day

Beeesneees wrote:
You would need to include the subject and verb in the second sentence for that to work.

They sometimes only include the subject, as in: Have you noticed\heard that\about..? Me neither. (As if he already received an answer ).
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

up and down the ticket | A man killed
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
trippedwas/became/got breathlessunappealing aspirationI wish my friends didn't phone methat is the importance ofI wish it wouldn't/didn't rain rain so often here.Because I didn't leave home earlier, I have missed the first part of the play.bigger presenceindoorsI'm looking for a placeClarification requiredbondingFrom the New York Times