Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to rely on; to extend business credit
found
trust
reward
divide
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next"

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
bought vs brought | using 'in' or 'for' in this case to replace 'since'?
listening exercises
Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next" #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:55 am   Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next"

Test No. incompl/elem-30 "Responses (3)", question 9

Mike: 'You just can't believe what they'll think up next, can you?'
Jane: '.........'

(a) There's no believing.
(b) There's no crediting.
(c) There's no saying.
(d) There's no announcing.

Test No. incompl/elem-30 "Responses (3)", answer 9

Jane: 'There's no saying.'

Correct answer: (c) There's no saying.

Your answer was: incorrect
Jane: 'There's no believing.'

Dear Teachers,

Please explain both expressions.

Thnaks
rich7
Rich7
I'm here quite often ;-)

There's no saying #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:09 am   There's no saying

There's no saying means you are speechless and can't say anything to describe what is going on.
Yo
I'm here quite often ;-)

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
There's no saying #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:13 am   There's no saying

yo wrote:
There's no saying means you are speechless and can't say anything to describe what is going on.

Please forget the answer and explain me what does the sentence means? speacially "think up next"

Thanks
Blazya
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

There's no saying #4 (permalink) Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:37 pm   There's no saying

blazya wrote:
Please forget the answer and explain what the sentence means? Especially "think up next"
Hi Blazya

To me the sentence means "It's difficult to imagine or anticipate what sort of creative or unusual ideas they will have next."

Does that help?

Amy

PS
The blue part of the quote is a correction of your question.

Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next" #5 (permalink) Fri Jan 12, 2007 19:16 pm   Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next"

Hi Yankee, your explanation was very good, indeed, thank you!! I don`d know what i`ll think up next, Do you? Is it OK?
Blazya
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next" #6 (permalink) Sun May 27, 2007 14:19 pm   Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next"

so, what does "that is no saying" actually mean?

did "yo" provide the right answer?
Seanmen
You can meet me at english-test.net

Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next" #7 (permalink) Sun May 27, 2007 20:35 pm   Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next"

Hi

The idiom "there's no saying" means that 'it is not possible to anticipate or judge something' or simply 'it is not possible to say'.

I think yo's explanation fits the first test sentence (Mike). "You just can't believe what they'll think up next" means that whenever they think something up, it's hardly possible to believe what they've done or thought of doing. What they do is always so surprising/unexpected/unimaginable that you may well end up speechless.

Therefore, Jane's response is to agree that it's not possible to anticipate or imagine what they will do next: "There's no saying (what they will do next)."

Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next" #8 (permalink) Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:52 am   Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next"

hey, what does " there's no crediting "means ?
Reenita

Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next" #9 (permalink) Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:29 am   Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next"

Hi Torsten;
Think up means create or initiate?

Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next" #10 (permalink) Fri May 14, 2010 9:44 am   Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next"

Hello,
Could you explain me, why don't we use "There's no believing"? When should we use it?
Thank you in advance.
Lengsreang

Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next" #11 (permalink) Sat May 15, 2010 16:38 pm   Meaning of "There's no saying" and "think up next"

Nice :)

I'm enjoying this discussion a lot..
SaudiRose

bought vs brought | using 'in' or 'for' in this case to replace 'since'?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
One "I" reduntant!help me plz!Why flying not just fly?Any idear or any idea...?Test incompl/inter-840, User's Answer 4the largest land mass in the world?What does wisdom mean?What do coal and cubicle mean?Test incompl/elem-247, User's Answer 10Sentence errorDifference between "a good many" and "many a good"?shouldn't have any more beer?Watch vs. look