to confirm to be true; to authorize
mollify
invent
satisfy
certify

Dividing sentence in thought groups

etymology of the word 'facebook'? | to do for others?
Dividing sentence in thought groups #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 28, 2016 15:47 pm   Dividing sentence in thought groups

I am not sure if I am dividing the following sentences in correct thought groups. Some English accent teachers suggest that one should speak in thought groups to sound like native English speakers.

1. The purpose of today’s meeting/ is to get more color/ on the school’s recently announced expansion.

2. I sent around a memo/ that analyzes the financial impact/ of this expansion.

3. Now some people might attribute that/ to the board’s reaction last year.

Musicgold

Dividing sentence in thought groups #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 28, 2016 16:15 pm   Dividing sentence in thought groups

They all seem to be appropriately divided.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Dividing sentence in thought groups #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 28, 2016 16:35 pm   Dividing sentence in thought groups

Musicgold

Dividing sentence in thought groups #4 (permalink) Mon Nov 20, 2017 18:01 pm   Dividing sentence in thought groups

Hi Beeesneees,

Would #3 sound awkward, if the speaker paused momentarily after 'attribute' instead of 'that' and said the rest of the sentence?

3a. Now some people might attribute/ that to the board’s reaction last year.

Musicgold

Use of the definite article with the name of bridgeswelcome alongThought groups question - Nov 22, 2017Thought groups question - Nov 22, 2017Are these sentences natural to a native ear? Nov 22, 2017kicked startedThought groups question - Nov 20, 2017proper name vs. proper nounIs this an optometrist or an optician?bringing or brings?The biggest mistake you can ever make is believing you never make one...Human spirit is alive and well....chocolate vs. chocolates