Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

summit; peak; head
technology
headway
conclusion
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What's wrong with vs. What's funny with | The verb "align"???
listening exercises
He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:22 am   He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #57 "Chit Chat: At the pub", question 6

Deborah: Oh yes. He's very good. At home when he's ......... eating, he goes into the kitchen and washes up his plates.

(a) finished
(b) ended
(c) ends
(d) finishes

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #57 "Chit Chat: At the pub", answer 6

Deborah: Oh yes. He's very good. At home when he's finished eating, he goes into the kitchen and washes up his plates.

Correct answer: (a) finished

Your answer was: incorrect
Deborah: Oh yes. He's very good. At home when he's finishes eating, he goes into the kitchen and washes up his plates.

Why answer is "finished" and not "finishes"?

Goran
Goran

He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating #2 (permalink) Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:02 am   He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating

Hi Goran

You can say either "when he finishes eating" or "when he is finished eating".

'Finishes' is the simple present tense of the verb finish.

'Is finished' consists of the simple present tense of the verb be and the word finished (an adjective).

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating #3 (permalink) Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:17 am   He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating

Hi Amy,

Can't fault the explanation but as a matter of fact when I wrote that, I had in mind: When he has finished eating.

What a language!

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating #4 (permalink) Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:34 am   He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating

Hi Alan

Aha! Well, you know we Americans tend to go for the simple tenses before considering the present perfect. 8)

Amy

He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating #5 (permalink) Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:37 am   He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating

So is the "is finished" legal ? I thought it was "has finished" too.
Kzie

He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating #6 (permalink) Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:52 am   He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating

Please, Yankee. Give more one chance to know the difference between " go for and make for, with example if possible. I introduced this new subject because there is this phrasal verb in your statement above. My best regards.
Cristovam
I'm here quite often ;-)

What's wrong with vs. What's funny with | The verb "align"???
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Test incompl/inter-228, Question 3mix-up vs. mix-inin spite of vs. instead ofWhat does 'eclectic' mean?unit 7SOccer~sports~TV~Portugal vs Spain Live Stream Uefa EURO 2012 Semi Final HD FreeESL tutor offerthe meaning of just a heads up?What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT?A few drinks - countable nounsUsing apologize + "about" or "for"Names of countriesRealize vs. reckon