to extricate; to remove; to evict; to oust; to expel
dislodge
sway
replay
interfere

Be able to inspire VERSUS be able to inspiring

Get into difficulties vs. get into trouble | What is the difference between "whom" and "who"?
Be able to inspire VERSUS be able to inspiring #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:47 am   Be able to inspire VERSUS be able to inspiring

ESL/EFL Test #15 "Advertising", question 3

A good team leader must be able to ......... his colleagues to face the challenge of a downturn in business.

(a) inspiring
(b) inspiration
(c) inspires
(d) inspire

ESL/EFL Test #15 "Advertising", answer 3

A good team leader must be able to inspire his colleagues to face the challenge of a downturn in business.

Correct answer: (d) inspire

A good team leader must be able to inspiring his colleagues to face the challenge of a downturn in business.
_________________________

Hi, here is my question:

"be able to" is a ph. why a following verb no need to add "ing"?

Jakim
Jakim

Be able to inspire VERSUS be able to inspiring #2 (permalink) Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:51 am   Be able to inspire VERSUS be able to inspiring

'Be able' to should be followed by an infinitive form. She is able to speak French = She can speak French = She has the ability to speak French.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of incidentallyExpression: "for the sake of"Those vs. theseMeaning of "to lay an egg"Idiom: 'to mind your own business'Expression 'hit the nail on the head'Become weaker vs. lose standards"make" versus "build up"Change versus shiftExpression: to be up for somethingIdiom: face the musicIn home versus at homeMeaning of 'non-refundable'