more important than others; great; serious
appealing
controlling
comfortable
major

Become weaker vs. lose standards

What is the difference between "whom" and "who"? | Expression 'hit the nail on the head'
Become weaker vs. lose standards #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:48 am   Become weaker vs. lose standards

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #10 "Cats, Dogs and Ducks", question 6

The older generation always maintains that in their day things were better and nowadays the country is going to the dogs.

(a) is having a good time
(b) is becoming lazy
(c) is losing its standards
(d) is becoming weaker

ESL/EFL Test #10 "Cats, Dogs and Ducks", answer 6

The older generation always maintains that in their day things were better and nowadays the country is losing its standards.

Correct answer: (c) is losing its standards

The older generation always maintains that in their day things were better and nowadays the country is becoming weaker.
_________________________

'Go to the dogs' means somewhere around 'go down', am I right? If so, isn't 'become waeker' more relevant than 'lose standards'?

haihao
Haihao from Japan

Become weaker vs. lose standards #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:11 am   Become weaker vs. lose standards

"Going to the dogs" means becoming worse, deteriorating. (like going down)

"Losing its standards" is the best answer. The country is not necessarily becoming weaker; it's just 'not as good' as before.
Canadian45

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Become weaker vs. lose standards #3 (permalink) Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:40 am   Become weaker vs. lose standards

Gotcha, Uncle Canadian. :D haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Meaning of incidentallyMeaning of "stick out his neck"Meaning of "portfolio" in this contextExpression: "for the sake of"Those vs. theseMeaning of "to lay an egg"Idiom: 'to mind your own business'"make" versus "build up"Change versus shiftBe able to inspire VERSUS be able to inspiringExpression: to be up for somethingIdiom: face the musicIn home versus at home