Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

act of paying back; repayment; compensation for a loss; repayment for an expense
reimbursement
place
focus
process
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "to lay an egg"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Expression: "for the sake of" | Meaning of incidentally
listening exercises
Meaning of "to lay an egg" #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:14 am   Meaning of "to lay an egg"

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #22 "Egg expressions", question 6

She wasn't really successful in her first stage play. In fact you could say she laid an egg.

(a) she made a good impression
(b) she forgot her lines
(c) she fell over on stage
(d) she gave an embarrassing performance

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #22 "Egg expressions", answer 6

She wasn't really successful in her first stage play. In fact you could say she she gave an embarrassing performance.

Correct answer: (d) she gave an embarrassing performance

What does "To lay an egg" means?

Zemfira
Zemfira

Meaning of "to lay an egg" #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:31 am   Meaning of "to lay an egg"

To lay an egg, i.e. to fail, especially in a public performance. As you see, the substitute in the test sentence is to give an embarrassing performance.
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "to lay an egg" #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:49 am   Meaning of "to lay an egg"

'Lay an egg' can also mean to fail or be unsuccessful.

IIRC, the origin came from the number zero because it's shaped like an egg, hence the term.

HTH.
Ron1970
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Meaning of "to lay an egg" #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2006 23:28 pm   Meaning of "to lay an egg"

Wouldn't answers B and C also suffice, inasmuch as to suffer either B or C would be embarrassing?

Meaning of "to lay an egg" #5 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2006 23:31 pm   Meaning of "to lay an egg"

But yes, that's what "to lay an egg" means.

Imagine if Arsenal were beaten 5-0 by Millwall.

Would Gunners fans admit that Millwall is a better team? No, because that's preposterous.

They may say something like, "Man, the Gunners surely laid an egg today!"

...with a few expletives added.

(I don't mean to pick on Arsenal. Insert any big soccer team in their place and it would likely be the same.)

Expression: "for the sake of" | Meaning of incidentally
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
The auxiliary verb "have" and the past (-ed) participleComma after "late": She's always late, isn't she?It happened yesterday didn't it?Shall vs. shouldIdiom: "to call it a day"Idiom: to see eye to eyeIdiom: I've now lost the threadMeaning of "stick out his neck"Meaning of "portfolio" in this contextThose vs. theseIdiom: 'to mind your own business'Expression 'hit the nail on the head'Become weaker vs. lose standards