poise; composure; dignity; aplomb
hyperbole
equanimity
fallacy
masquerade

Getting information from many different news resources.

Getting information from many different news resources. | encourage their children to take part in organized group activities
Getting  information from many different news resources. #1 (permalink) Tue Oct 10, 2017 14:02 pm   Getting information from many different news resources.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

In order to be well-informed, a person must get information from many different news resources.

Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Deciding how to get informed about the news is one of the most important decisions in your life because reading and listening the news from different resources have different effects on your view about events. Some people prefer to read or listen the news from different resources while others prefer to get the news from a dedicated resource. I personally prefer to read the news from a defined resource because I think reading and listening to different resources takes lots of time. Moreover I think that all that the information of all news agencies are common and there is not remarkable differences.

To begin, I believe that more people do not have enough time to refer to different resources to be aware about different aspects of an event and if they decide to do that it takes lots of time and has negative effects on other aspects of their lives. For example, I remember when I was in high school, I have a part time job and I was a computer technician in a company. At first I did not have access and I did my job carefully and the manager of the company appreciated me for this. After I connected my computer to the internet, I used to read news from different online news sites. I was very interested to be well informed about different aspects of Iran’ nuclear deal with 7+1 countries that I read news about it from all reformists sites such as www.asriran.com and www.alef.ir. Every day it took about five hours to be well informed about negotiations of Iran and other developed countries. After a month, one day the manager came in to the room and saw lots of computers in my room which needed to be repaired. He told me that we do not need you because you just read the news here and do not do our work. As you can see being addicted to read the news from different sites has negative effects on one’s other aspects of life.

Furthermore, I think that all news agencies contents’ are common and they just copy and paste the news. So it is not required that one read and listen news from different resources. For instance, I usually listen to VOA news and BBC news from a radio when I drive to home every day. I do this because I think that if I listen to English from different resources with different accents it will have positive effects on my listening skill. After a year thet I listened to both of these station every day I found that when an event occurs across the world both of them talk about it and there is no a significant difference between them. So I think that no one needs to get the news from different resources and one of them is enough.

To sum up, I believe that people who read and listen to the news from different resources just waste their time and I advice my family and my friends that do not do this.

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor mention the large jars?
Mahdi

Location: IRAN

Re: Getting  information from many different news resources. #2 (permalink) Tue Oct 10, 2017 15:02 pm   Re: Getting information from many different news resources.

Hi Mahdi, I think your second body paragraph was very good, with a good example.
But your first body paragraph's example did not really seem to fit well with the prompt.
The prompt is not asking whether to listen to a lot of news or not listen to any -
instead it is talking about the different sources of news, not the amount.
I think the prompt is also talking about whether we should get our news from tv, radio, newspapers, and the internet - or is just one of these sources adequate?
Also, try to use synonyms if you can - this one was pretty tough but I added some alternatives to resources to give you some ideas. Finally, you have used "and"
quite a lot in this essay. Try to branch out and add different transition words and phrases. This post has a good list of transitions you can try: http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic87661-30.html

Mahdi wrote:

Deciding how to get informed about the news is one of the most important decisions in your life because reading and listening [to] the news from different resources have different effects on your view about [current] events. Some people prefer to read or [hear] {or "listen to the news"} the news from different [outlets] resources while others prefer to get the news from a dedicated [authority] {try to avoid repetition}. I personally prefer to read the news from a [single] defined [channel] because I think reading and listening to different resources takes lots of time. Moreover I think that all that the information [from] all news agencies are common and there [are] not remarkable differences.

To begin, I believe that [most] people do not have enough time to refer to different [news purveyors] to [become] aware about different aspects of an event and if they decide to do that [so] it takes lots of time and has negative effects on other aspects of their lives. For example, I remember when I was in high school, I [had] a part time job and I was [as] a computer technician in a company. {yours was correct, but this sounds a lot better} At first I did not have [web] access and I did my job carefully[, therefore] {avoid using "and" so much} the manager of the company appreciated me for this. After I connected my computer to the internet, I used to read news from different online news sites. I was very interested [in being] well informed about different aspects of Iran’[s ] nuclear deal with 7+1 countries that I read news about it from all reformists sites such as www.asriran.com and www.alef.ir. Every day it took about five hours to be well informed about negotiations [between] Iran and other developed countries. After a month, one day the manager came in to the room and saw lots of computers in my room which needed to be repaired. He told me that we do not need you because you just read the news here and do not do [your] work. As you can[,] see being addicted to read[ing] the news from different sites has negative effects on one’s other aspects of life.

Furthermore, I think that all news agencies [content is] {usually content is non-countable singular} common and they just copy and paste the news. So it is not required that one read and listen [to] news from different [outlets]. For instance, I usually listen to VOA news and BBC news [on] a radio when I drive to home {home is an exception -
you "drive to work" or "drive to school" or "drive to my house", but "drive home"} every day. I do this because I think that if I listen to English from different [new announcers] with different accents it will have positive effects on my listening skill. After a year [of] [listening] to both of these station every day I found that when an event occurs across the world[,] both of them talk about it and [furthermore] {try to add some variety in your transitions} there is [not] a significant difference between them. So I think that no one needs to get the news from different resources [since] one of them is enough.

To sum up, I believe that people who read and listen to the news from different resources just waste their time and I [advise] my family and my friends [to] that do not do this.

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHave you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Number of cars in the futureDangerous sportTeachers should not make their social or political views known to studentsPastimes by age - Table summerizeThe dislike and like from a person you know is planning to move to your cityThe importance of celebrities to young peopleThe problems of deforestation and how to solve them.Employers sometimes ask people applying for jobs for personal informationGetting information from many different news resources.Getting information from many different news resources.Start learning a foreign language at primary school or at secondary?Save your money for some time in the futureNew Homes In Countryside