difficult situation; difficult decision
panegyric
jeopardy
dilemma
exodus

Roads and highways or public transportation systems

Restaurants or home-cooked meals? | Teenagers who have jobs
Roads and highways or public transportation systems #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:28 am   Roads and highways or public transportation systems

Should governments should spend money for on improving roads and highways or should governments spend more money on improving public transportation? (buses, trains, subways)

Some times it is said that constructing public transportation systems such as subways, trains and buses are very expensive. It might hold some truth, but it ignores the fact that building new roads for private cars is more expensive than extending public transportation systems. In my view, public transportation system is quick and fast, clean and more people can use them due to the fact that some ones do not own a car for themselves.

To begin with, in my view, nowadays cities are big and crowded than ever before and they have essential problems such as traffic jams. To that end, governments should extend public transportation systems like subways. Not only do these systems are quick and fast but also they are clean and they tend to emit less carbon dioxide than private cars. Consider the conditions of a mega city like Tokyo in which 25 million people live. If the Japanese government had not built so comprehensive and improved subways, they have had lots of traffic problems and they never have developed so rapidly. These days hectic pace in cities increase and I believe that public transportation system is a good solution for solving issues connected to these types of problems in these populated cities.

In addition, governments should consider conditions of all people when they want to assign budget to projects. In my opinion, a big fraction of the poor do not have their own car and they use cabs, busses, and metro every day. Therefore, building new roads have fewer benefits for them than spending money for developing and organizing taxies, buses, subways and railroads. In order for a government to become successful, all people inside the country should be satisfied with the country's situation.

To sum up, I do not deny the benefits of constructing developed roads in a country, but I think it is strongly believed that developing public transportations systems are more important than developing roads.

TOEFL listening lectures: The professor mentions watermelons as an example of what?
Mahdi

Location: IRAN

Re: Roads and highways or public transportation systems #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 07, 2017 15:33 pm   Re: Roads and highways or public transportation systems

Hi Mahdi, I thought this was one of your better essays. Your first body paragraph was especially good. It would have been nice to have a detailed example in your second body paragraph as well. Maybe talk about a poor friend who can't afford a car,
so using his tax dollars to build new roads will not help him at all and so seems very unfair. Maybe you were running out of time? Anyway, your reasons were good and your writing was clear apart from a few usage mistakes.

Mahdi wrote:

Some times it is said that constructing public transportation systems such as subways, trains and buses are very expensive. It {ok, but "it" is a little vague - maybe "This observation might ... but it ignores"} might hold some truth, but it ignores the fact that building new roads for private cars is more expensive than extending public transportation systems. In my view, [a ]public transportation system is quick and fast, clean and more people can use [it] due to the fact that some ones [people] {or for a pronoun - "... fact that not everyone owns their own car."} do not own a car for themselves. {"car of their own" sounds more natural}

To begin with, in my view, nowadays cities are [bigger] and [more] crowded than {"than" is a comparison, so you have to use a comparative adjective} ever before and they have essential problems such as traffic jams. To that end, governments should extend public transportation systems like subways. Not only [are] these systems are quick and fast but also they are clean and they tend to emit less carbon dioxide than private cars. Consider the conditions of a mega city like Tokyo in which 25 million people live. If the Japanese government had not built so comprehensive and improved subways, they [would] have had lots of traffic problems and they [would] never have developed so rapidly. These days [the] hectic pace in cities [is increasing] and I believe that public transportation system is a good solution for solving issues connected to these types of problems in these populated cities.

In addition, governments should consider conditions {"conditions" sounds a little odd an unclear - it usually means people's state of health - maybe just "consider the specific needs of"} of all people when they want to assign [a ]budget to projects. In my opinion, a big fraction of the poor do not have their own [cars] and [therefore] they use cabs, busses, and metro every day. Therefore, building new roads [has] {although "provides" is better here} fewer benefits for them than spending money for developing and organizing taxies, {taxies are no really considered public transportation} buses, subways and railroads. In order for a government to become successful, all people inside the country should be satisfied with the country's situation.

To sum up, I do not deny the benefits of constructing developed {"developed" sounds odd - maybe "modern"} roads in a country, but I think it is strongly believed [indisputably evident] {"strongly believed" sounds too weak to me - believed by whom?} that developing public transportations systems [is] {"developing" is the singular noun here} more important than developing roads.

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHow many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Interneta piece of Jewelry or tickets of a concert ?Newspapers will remain the most important source of newsWhat are the pros and cons of watching Televison for children?JobResolve the international environmental problems by increasing the cost of fuelMovies and television have negative effect on young peoplewhat are the advantages and disadvantages of using CCTV to fight crime?What are the pros and cons of using public transportation?big cities or small towns ?The behaviour of the childrenOver packed foodHow do movies or television influence people’s behavior?