excited; passionate; ardent; fervent
enthusiastic
flexible
executive
additional

Ordinals with an indefinite article

has or have | A self-belief
Ordinals with an indefinite article #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:11 am   Ordinals with an indefinite article

Ordinals with an indefinite article… Well, ‘a second\third etc.’ could be interpreted as ‘another’: “Greece, who finished behind Belgium in Group H, are aiming for a third straight World Cup finals…”
But why they have gone with the ‘a’ in: “The Republic of Ireland meet Denmark… as they seek to reach a first World Cup finals since 2002” doesn’t seem that obvious. (To me you can only have one first thing–the first, not one among ‘several firsts’.) What if they were seeking to reach “the first World Cup finals since 2002”?.. And that just leads us to a second question: “There is a first time for everything”--why is it ‘a first’?
Eugene2114

Re: Ordinals with an indefinite article #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 09, 2017 14:44 pm   Re: Ordinals with an indefinite article

I think 'a' means 'another' here as well but is applicable after 2002, which suggests that Ireland could have had similar occasions prior to 2002.

Now, logically, in a situation where there are first prizes for all those who score the maximum set by the event organizers, we can expect many firsts. So a competitor can win a first.
_________________
Anglophile
I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Anglophile

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
has or have | A self-belief
approach smb. on the subjectDun, dun, duuuun?And the truth be toldknow the ropes of Tanzania?Another shot article-wise?as much ... asOBE?I had her make some coffeeParty arid government bodiesUse of profoundly: The application is not profoundly stableabout "sell"poop on partiesWhy tetter is described as shell-like?