kind; good
beneficent
local
unjudged
superfluous

OBE?

A self-belief | Party arid government bodies
OBE? #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2017 18:34 pm   OBE?

Hi, am I right in assuming that an OBE is an officer's degree of the British Empire that is still acquired nowadays?

TOEIC listening, talks: Voice mail announcement

OBE? #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:41 am   OBE?

Hi Torsten,

All you ever wanted to know about the honours system, often referred to as 'gongs'. It's quaint isn't it?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=OBE&oq=OBE&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2007j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
OBE? #3 (permalink) Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:39 am   OBE?

Hi Alan, you know what's interesting? If I google 'OBE', I get the Wikipedia entry that also shows up in the Google search page you reference but when I then look for 'gongs', there is no entry. The Wikipedia article only uses the singular form 'gong'. As for the 'honours system', yes it is at least 'weird' and probably quite 'quaint' too. I came across it when I was helping create a translation of a page run by a British journalist who is an OBE.

TOEIC listening, talks: Traffic report

Wer bimst am Laberfon?Rent a car -- Rentnerauto ;-)approach smb. on the subjectDun, dun, duuuun?And the truth be toldknow the ropes of Tanzania?Another shot article-wise?as much ... asOrdinals with an indefinite articleI had her make some coffeehas or haveUse of profoundly: The application is not profoundly stableWhy tetter is described as shell-like?