Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to reduce the size of; to make smaller; to cut the number of employees
ferry
impress
downsize
destroy
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

know the ropes of Tanzania?

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
as much ... as | Why tetter is described as shell-like?
listening exercises
know the ropes of Tanzania? #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 11, 2017 18:14 pm   know the ropes of Tanzania?

Hi, can you use the idiom 'to know the ropes' as shown in the following phrase?

Travel with the guidance of qualified professionals who know the ropes of Tanzania....

TOEIC listening, talks: Returning a phone call
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

know the ropes of Tanzania? #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 11, 2017 18:59 pm   know the ropes of Tanzania?

Relying on the examples: ‘I have been to Thailand a few times, so I know the ropes, or at least I think I do.’ ‘One of the most efficient and safest ways to see the most sights in the least amount of time is with a tour guide who knows the ropes.’ ‘He had traveled a lot overseas on business and kind of knew the ropes… but we were too tired to care.’ https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/know_the_ropes
and: 'He has been working here for 30 years and knows the ropes to getting anything done.', 'He knows the ropes of the circus since he has been here his entire life.' http://www.theidioms.com/know-the-ropes/,
I would say it wouldn’t be the most elegant way of getting your ideas across but you’ll be understood.

To me it's close to 'to know ins and outs."
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
as much ... as | Why tetter is described as shell-like?
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
two questionsof/ for please help me.speculative voiceWer bimst am Laberfon?Rent a car -- Rentnerauto ;-)approach smb. on the subjectpassive transformationDun, dun, duuuun?And the truth be toldAnother shot article-wise?A self-beliefOBE?Ordinals with an indefinite article