comprehensive; inclusive
sick
superb
blanket
corporate

Salutation and Punctuation

of/ for please help me. | forgetful smile
Salutation and Punctuation #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:43 am   Salutation and Punctuation

When we address the recipient of a communication, which of the following salutations are correct?

Dear Madam or Dear madam
Dear Friend or Dear friend
Dear President or Dear president or Dear Mr President

Further, is it necessary to punctuate it with a comma in an open-end letter format?
_________________
Anglophile
I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Anglophile

Salutation and Punctuation #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 13, 2017 13:09 pm   Salutation and Punctuation

I think in formal letter, it is used colon Dear Madam:
Risna

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Salutation and Punctuation #3 (permalink) Mon Nov 13, 2017 13:35 pm   Salutation and Punctuation

I doubt if the colon is suitable after the salutation.
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

Salutation and Punctuation #4 (permalink) Tue Nov 14, 2017 17:32 pm   Salutation and Punctuation

Dear Madam /Dear Friend /Dear (Mr) President - those would be my choices followed by a comma and the first letter of the word in the next line would be a capital letter.
_________________

Salutation and Punctuation #5 (permalink) Tue Nov 14, 2017 18:02 pm   Salutation and Punctuation

Thank you, Alan. I also prefer initial capital letter for the word that follows 'Dear'.

However, in an open heading, I see no punctuation after salutation, after subscription, after date etc as indicated below.

XYZ Pvt Ltd
Downing Street
London

Dear Sir

Yours sincerely

November 14, 2017
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

The biggest mistake you can ever make is believing you never make one...Human spirit is alive and well....chocolate vs. chocolatesWhat is this job called in English? - Fachangestellter f. Medien- und InformationI am not a fool to trust him...has always loved chocolate vs. has always been loving chocolateplease welcome backit or not and others please help me.every day in the yeartwo questionsspeculative voiceWer bimst am Laberfon?Rent a car -- Rentnerauto ;-)