Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

public; large group of people; gathering
ambivalence
passport
origin
crowd
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

every day in the year

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
it or not and others please help me. | please welcome back
listening exercises
every day in the year #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:15 am   every day in the year

People think of the United States as a rich and plentiful nation. It is, but it is not self-sufficient. Its reliance on foreign sources is made clear every day in the year. (Taiwan Senior High School English Composition Textbook, Volume I, page 17)
Is the expression "every day in the year" acceptable to native speakers?

every day in the year #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:29 pm   every day in the year

Not an English native speaker, I would use ‘of the year’. The original sounds to me close to its literal meaning (during the period of\covering each day of the year); while ‘of the year’ could be read as all-pervading, perceptible in every sphere of life.
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
every day in the year #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 14, 2017 14:21 pm   every day in the year

As a native English speaker, I agree that "of the year" sounds more natural here.
Luschen
I'm a Communicator ;-)

every day in the year #4 (permalink) Tue Nov 14, 2017 15:20 pm   every day in the year

By the way, do you see any difference: a native English speaker\an English native speaker\a native speaker of English (have come across all three)?
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

every day in the year #5 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 14:31 pm   every day in the year

While the other two mean the same, 'an English native speaker', to me, appears to be a native speaker of England.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

every day in the year #6 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 15:15 pm   every day in the year

Well, if you follow the link: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/native , you’ll find a Spanish native speaker; a native speaker of Spanish; an English native speaker and a native speaker of English; a French…
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

every day in the year #7 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 17:59 pm   every day in the year

I'd rather like Eugene to think of it in terms of his own logic and reason than make a reference which may not always be as reliable.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

it or not and others please help me. | please welcome back
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Is this an optometrist or an optician?bringing or brings?The biggest mistake you can ever make is believing you never make one...etymology of the word 'facebook'?Human spirit is alive and well....chocolate vs. chocolatesWhat is this job called in English? - Fachangestellter f. Medien- und InformationI am not a fool to trust him...has always loved chocolate vs. has always been loving chocolatetwo questionsof/ for please help me.speculative voiceforgetful smile