Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

typical; distinctive
characteristic
candid
responsible
back
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

it or not and others please help me.

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
forgetful smile | every day in the year
listening exercises
it or not and others please help me. #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:30 am   it or not and others please help me.

1. The water was so hot that I could not drink it. => in this case may I omit "it"?

2. We'll go out as soon as it stops raining.
Tuyet8
I'm here quite often ;-)

Re: it or not and others please help me. #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:45 am   Re: it or not and others please help me.

Tuyet8 wrote:
in this case may I omit "it"?

1--I think you can’t. ‘It’ here, is a personal pronoun “used to refer to a thing previously mentioned [water in this case] or easily identified”.
You could well drop it in say, “The water was too hot to drink.“

2-- ‘It’ here, is a "dummy pronoun" with no particular meaning, that “takes the subject or object position in statements about weather, time, place, condition.” (It is raining\It is four o'clock\...) You can’t drop it either.
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Re: it or not and others please help me. #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 14:38 pm   Re: it or not and others please help me.

Tuyet8 wrote:
1. The water was so hot that I could not drink it. => in this case may I omit "it"? ....

Here the sentence has two clauses, so the 'it' is necessary. In 'The water was too hot for me to drink', which is a simple sentence, 'it' becomes redundant.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

forgetful smile | every day in the year
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Is this an optometrist or an optician?bringing or brings?The biggest mistake you can ever make is believing you never make one...Human spirit is alive and well....chocolate vs. chocolatesWhat is this job called in English? - Fachangestellter f. Medien- und InformationI am not a fool to trust him...has always loved chocolate vs. has always been loving chocolateplease welcome backtwo questionsof/ for please help me.speculative voiceSalutation and Punctuation