mark; symbol; indication; hint; trace; notice; advertisement
part
candidate
sign
messenger

please welcome back

every day in the year | has always loved chocolate vs. has always been loving chocolate
please welcome back #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 13:55 pm   please welcome back

"Will you please welcome back onto the pitch, Honduras."
This could only sound meaningful to me if it was "Will you please be welcome back…” surely?
Eugene2114

please welcome back #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 15:57 pm   please welcome back

No :)
_________________
If you're going through hell... keep going.
Cristina.ro

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
please welcome back #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 15:58 pm   please welcome back

This was addressed to the audience (and not to Honduras) - will you please greet the return of Honduras (some team's name I suppose) onto the field.

"Will you please be welcome back…" sounds distinctly odd.
_________________
Cristina.ro

please welcome back #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 15:58 pm   please welcome back

(Honduras, to the best of my knowledge, is a country.)
Then “Will you please welcome back in the ring, Mike Tyson."—equally valid?
Eugene2114

please welcome back #5 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 16:31 pm   please welcome back

Well, if you consider: “You’re welcome back onto the pitch, Honduras." and then turn it into more polite (to the excess?) "Will you please be welcome back onto the pitch, Honduras." then it doesn’t sound that odd to me.

Worded, “Will you please welcome Honduras back onto the pitch” would remove all doubts, but the author found the way how to knock me for six.
Eugene2114

please welcome back #6 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 16:46 pm   please welcome back

Eugene2114 wrote:

(Well, yes, but when a team represents a certain country...? It is usual to refer to that team using the name of the country it represents, isn't it?)

I would interpret "Will you please welcome back in the ring, Mike Tyson" in the same way (request addressed to the audience).

Eugene2114 wrote:
... "Will you please be welcome back onto the pitch, Honduras." then it doesn’t sound that odd to me.

Still sounds off to me. Perhaps someone else will weigh in on this. :)
_________________
Cristina.ro

please welcome back #7 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 18:02 pm   please welcome back

Cristina is 100% correct in her answer. This is addressed to the audience, and "Will you please be welcome ..." doesn't really make any sense.

Maybe "Will you please welcome Honduras back onto the pitch." might be a little more clear, but consider the scene at a stadium full of Honduras supporters:

"Will you please welcome back onto the pitch ... {pause for effect} ... Honduras!!! " {crowd goes wild}

please welcome back #8 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 19:40 pm   please welcome back

Just for clarification:‘"Will you please welcome back onto the pitch, Honduras." That would be a no then as 80,000 fans jeer the visitors back onto the Stadium Australia stage.’—that was the scene. Not–so-amiable an atmosphere will you agree.
And then the punctuation and wording that misled me too: couldn’t he put it like, "Will you please welcome them back onto the pitch, Honduras."?

In short, I haven’t come out the other side yet.
Eugene2114

please welcome back #9 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 21:10 pm   please welcome back

Well, in that case, maybe if they said "Will you please welcome Honduras back onto the pitch?", the boos that would immediately follow the mention of "Honduras" would drown out the rest of the sentence.

As for your, "Will you please welcome them back onto the pitch, Honduras?" that sounds like you are asking Honduras to welcome some other group onto the field.

please welcome back #10 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2017 21:46 pm   please welcome back

A suitable conclusion, I think.
_________________

Is this an optometrist or an optician?bringing or brings?The biggest mistake you can ever make is believing you never make one...etymology of the word 'facebook'?Human spirit is alive and well....chocolate vs. chocolatesWhat is this job called in English? - Fachangestellter f. Medien- und InformationI am not a fool to trust him...it or not and others please help me.two questionsof/ for please help me.speculative voiceforgetful smile