replacement; person or thing that takes the place of another
division
error
necessary
substitute

How British is bespoke?

to do for others? | Thought groups question - Nov 20, 2017
How British is bespoke? #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:50 pm   How British is bespoke?

So, from what I understand the adjective 'bespoke' is the British equivalent to the American adjective 'tailor-made' or 'customized'?

TOEIC listening, talks: Traffic report for Interstate 55 and Highway 44

How British is bespoke? #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2017 13:47 pm   How British is bespoke?

Are those words opposite in meaning with "makeshift"? Thanks
E2e4

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
How British is bespoke? #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:05 pm   How British is bespoke?

I think 'makeshift' means 'for a limited period of time'. The opposite to 'bespoke' and 'customized' is probably something like 'boilerplate' or simple 'standard'?

TOEIC listening, talks: New work schedule

How British is bespoke? #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2017 18:05 pm   How British is bespoke?

It is pretty common in the US, in fact maybe irritatingly so - like the word "curated". It has that classy British feel that is attractive to the customers that companies who use "bespoke" are trying to attract.

How British is bespoke? #5 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2017 18:30 pm   How British is bespoke?

I aways associate 'bespoke' with exclusivity as in 'bespoke clothing' in contrast to clothes you buy (at least I do) 'off the peg'.
_________________

How British is bespoke? #6 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2017 20:03 pm   How British is bespoke?

Very interesting. How about 'bespoke software' what does this sound like to your sophisticated and experienced American and British ears?

TOEIC listening, talks: A tour guide is welcoming her guests

How British is bespoke? #7 (permalink) Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:18 pm   How British is bespoke?

Torsten wrote:

Yes, to me that sounds a little pretentious, but the meaning is clear.

How British is bespoke? #8 (permalink) Tue Nov 21, 2017 0:41 am   How British is bespoke?

So, you wouldn't read a phrase like 'we create bespoke software for our clients' on an American site?

TOEIC listening, talks: A weather forecast for a coastAL region

How British is bespoke? #9 (permalink) Tue Nov 21, 2017 17:59 pm   How British is bespoke?

Yes, I would read it, but l'd roll my eyes at it. What's next, "bespoke omelets"? Using it for suits is fine, but anything else sounds pompous to me.

How British is bespoke? #10 (permalink) Tue Nov 21, 2017 21:10 pm   How British is bespoke?

So, maybe it's is indeed a British expression because if you google it, you'll get quite a number of results.

TOEIC listening, talks: Leaving a voice message reporting a lost wallet

Conditionalmeaning of the sentence partUse of the definite article with the name of bridgeswelcome alongThought groups question - Nov 22, 2017Thought groups question - Nov 22, 2017Are these sentences natural to a native ear? Nov 22, 2017kicked startedproper name vs. proper nounIs this an optometrist or an optician?bringing or brings?The biggest mistake you can ever make is believing you never make one...etymology of the word 'facebook'?