objective
metropolitan
bound
proper
unjudged

chocolate vs. chocolates

has always loved chocolate vs. has always been loving chocolate | Human spirit is alive and well....
chocolate vs. chocolates #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:44 am   chocolate vs. chocolates

The question is whether it should be:

1. Jack has always loved chocolate (or chocolates).
2. Jack has always been loving chocolate (or chocolates)

I think we need to put it as chocolates (in plural).
_________________
Anglophile
I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Anglophile

chocolate vs. chocolates #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:10 pm   chocolate vs. chocolates

Anglophile, why "chocolates", I thought I was using the chocolate as an uncountable noun in the 1) and the 2). In addition, OK, I saw in my dictionary, "chocolate" can be countable as well but, I admit, it's something new to me.
Does it mean "chocolate" can be used instead of "a bar of chocolate"?
Can I say in a shop, "I'd like that chocolate" instead of "I'd like that bar of chocolate"?
Has grammar changed about it recently or is it as that for a long time?
E2e4

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
chocolate vs. chocolates #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:02 pm   chocolate vs. chocolates

It's surprising that your original question has disappeared.

Well, if you use an article or an adjective or a phrase like a bar/box of, the sentence will be better.

As regards your shopping, either of them, in my view, should be acceptable.

I don't think there has been any change in the grammar of this aspect for a long time.
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

chocolate vs. chocolates #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:05 pm   chocolate vs. chocolates

It has not disappeared: has always loved chocolate vs. has always been loving chocolate

TOEIC listening, talks: Statue dedication

chocolate vs. chocolates #5 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:14 pm   chocolate vs. chocolates

Thank you, Torsten. But there is still something wrong. Now I seem to have become the author of the question, and have accordingly modified it.
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

chocolate vs. chocolates #6 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:30 pm   chocolate vs. chocolates

Hello Anglophile, it could be the admin cut the part with your answer off the topic I started. My topic was about differences between the two perfected tenses, but your answer took me in to ask an additional question referred to countable, uncountable, collective nouns and such things. Thanks for your answers anyway.
E2e4

Re: chocolate vs. chocolates #7 (permalink) Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:21 am   Re: chocolate vs. chocolates

Anglophile wrote:
The question is whether it should be:

No, it's just the other way around. It's much better to use 'chocolate' than 'chocolates' in this context. It's pretty much the same as saying "I've always loved coffee". Saying "I've always loved coffees" doesn't make much sense.

TOEIC listening, talks: Announcing the schedule of a mobile blood center

Re: chocolate vs. chocolates #8 (permalink) Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 am   Re: chocolate vs. chocolates

But, Torsten, coffee is not a countable noun!
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

chocolate vs. chocolates #9 (permalink) Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:19 am   chocolate vs. chocolates

I beg to differ. Please take a look at this snapshot. I do think that Starbucks know what they are talking about when they describe their 'coffees':

TOEIC listening, talks: A business executive is asking his PA to reschedule his itinerary

chocolate vs. chocolates #10 (permalink) Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:58 am   chocolate vs. chocolates

Here, in my country as well, people say 'Give me a coffee' which is taken to mean a cup of coffee. On the same analogy, I agree that Starbucks could use it in the plural meaning 'different types of coffee'. This is my view based on my limited knowledge and handling of English usages. However, I'm not sure whether coffee and tea have come to be pluralized in the usual manner.
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

Re: chocolate vs. chocolates #11 (permalink) Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:08 am   Re: chocolate vs. chocolates

Torsten wrote:
It's much better to use 'chocolate' than 'chocolates' in this context. Saying "I've always loved coffees" doesn't make much sense.

To me, grammatically, both singular (“a food made from roasted ground cacao beans”) and plural (meaning individual sweets) forms can be used depending on what you meant to talk about. You can be a life-long chocolate lover that is, you love it as a substance (and anything containing it) or you can love sweets made from chocolate.
As to ‘coffees’ (“a reception at which coffee and other refreshhments are served”), why not assume there are those loving theese specific parties around.
Eugene2114

chocolate vs. chocolates #12 (permalink) Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 am   chocolate vs. chocolates

I'm sure you will hear 'two coffees please' at coffee shops around the world thousands of times every day. In other places you will hear things like 'five beers please but make it quick, mate' ;-)

TOEIC listening, talks: Advertising an inflatable plane seat

to do for others?Is this an optometrist or an optician?bringing or brings?The biggest mistake you can ever make is believing you never make one...etymology of the word 'facebook'?How British is bespoke?What is this job called in English? - Fachangestellter f. Medien- und InformationI am not a fool to trust him...please welcome backit or not and others please help me.every day in the yeartwo questionsof/ for please help me.