excellent; conspicuous; prominent; due
vast
outstanding
urgent
frank

etymology of the word 'facebook'?

Is this an optometrist or an optician? | Dividing sentence in thought groups
etymology of the word 'facebook'? #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:18 am   etymology of the word 'facebook'?

Does anyone happen to know how the word 'facebook' came into being? What is its origin? I mean, those books created and maintained by students at US colleges are called 'yearbook' not 'facebook', right? Did Mr. Zuckerberg himself coin the word 'facebook' or did it exist before him?

TOEIC listening, talks: Introducing cost saving measures

etymology of the word 'facebook'? #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 18, 2017 18:29 pm   etymology of the word 'facebook'?

No, yearbook is the official publication that you usually get at the end of the academic year. A facebook was an unofficial booklet of photos and information the students would put together at the beginning of the semester to get to know everyone. A yearbook will have pictures of all the clubs and sports teams and highlights of different activities, but the facebook is just a list of students with their photos in brief info about each student, like hometown, major and so on.

{I double-checked on wikipedia and it said the facebooks were official publications by the school too, but I have read that usually they were just put together by the students}

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
etymology of the word 'facebook'? #3 (permalink) Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 am   etymology of the word 'facebook'?

So, the word 'facebook' did exist long before Mark Zuckerberg started his empire?

TOEIC listening, talks: Announcing the opening of a summer open air drama festival

etymology of the word 'facebook'? #4 (permalink) Mon Nov 20, 2017 15:04 pm   etymology of the word 'facebook'?

Yes, Facebook started out as just an online facebook.

welcome alongThought groups question - Nov 22, 2017Thought groups question - Nov 22, 2017Are these sentences natural to a native ear? Nov 22, 2017kicked startedto do for others?Thought groups question - Nov 20, 2017proper name vs. proper nounbringing or brings?The biggest mistake you can ever make is believing you never make one...Human spirit is alive and well....chocolate vs. chocolatesHow British is bespoke?