pertaining to the commercial center of a city
downtown
yearly
beneficent
compatible

...order that the court is/be to do...

attempt to do/doing | car number vs. number plate?
...order that the court is/be to do... #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:13 am   ...order that the court is/be to do...

Can anyone tell me which of the following is correct:
(1) We seek an order that the Court is to decide those matters.
(2) We seek an order that the Court be to decide those matters.

Sentence (2) may sound awkward but appears to be more grammatical to me.

Thank you in advance.
Leong187

...order that the court is/be to do... #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 25, 2017 14:56 pm   ...order that the court is/be to do...

Hi, yes normally this would be the subjunctive mood, but I don't think you can use an infinitive after "be".
So to use the subjunctive case here, you would need something like:

"We seek an order that the Court be responsible/trusted/empowered to decide those matters."

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
...order that the court is/be to do... #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:57 am   ...order that the court is/be to do...

Hi, Lushen.

Thank you so much for your reply.

If 'is to' were used here to give an instruction or command (i.e. The court is to decide those matters. We will seek that court order), would sentence (2) still be correct?
Leong187

...order that the court is/be to do... #4 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2017 16:20 pm   ...order that the court is/be to do...

Hi, I don't really understand your question. #2 in your original post is incorrect and I cannot think of a context in which it would be correct.

...order that the court is/be to do... #5 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2017 18:39 pm   ...order that the court is/be to do...

'We seek an order that the Court should decide those matters soon.'
Is it OK?
Please comment. Thanks.
Allifathima

...order that the court is/be to do... #6 (permalink) Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:04 am   ...order that the court is/be to do...

Yes Allifathima, that would be ok. Another option is "We seek an order that the Court decide these matters soon."

...order that the court is/be to do... #7 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2017 15:45 pm   ...order that the court is/be to do...

Luschen.
Is it correct?
Please comment. Thanks.
Allifathima

are to repairAre the following sentences natural to a native ear? 2017 Nov 04saving gracehair growth vs. growth of hairglobal banking and finance reviewsuccessthe reason for "the" in "the east"origin of the term "wakeboard"Is it ok to call a gun withering?Flair vs FlarePlease check the sentences. right or wrong?Meaning of the sentencecoupon buster