impartial; equitable
final
exclusive
gifted
unbiased

Use of the definite article with the name of bridges

kicked started | meaning of the sentence part
Use of the definite article with the name of bridges #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:47 am   Use of the definite article with the name of bridges

Hello!

I have noticed that Americans tend to use 'the' with the names of bridges more than the British do. Just one example, I often read Brooklyn Bridge (without 'the') in grammar books written by English writers whilst the Brooklyn Bridge by Americans.
Is there some difference or tendency to use it?

Many thanks
Foreigner

Location: Uzbekistan

Use of the definite article with the name of bridges #2 (permalink) Fri Nov 24, 2017 14:12 pm   Use of the definite article with the name of bridges

Well, when I said, "I’m sure another sources, American or not, would be similarly ‘unanimous’ on the subject.", I meant just that:

The Millennium Bridge, officially known as the London Millennium Footbridge, is a steel suspension bridge… It is located between Southwark Bridge and Blackfriars Railway Bridge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Bridge,_London [consistency, isn’t it?]

The is used in the following categories of proper nouns:
o Bridges: the London Bridge, the Mackinac Bridge http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/grammar/articles
[“Walden University is a for-profit Public Benefit Corporation, headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota,”]

—And half-dozen of similar stuff in store.
And how would you go about it now? I’d simply let it slide.
Eugene2114

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Use of the definite article with the name of bridges #3 (permalink) Fri Nov 24, 2017 16:14 pm   Use of the definite article with the name of bridges

Ha! I think it would be safe to say "use 'the' before bridge names in the US, especially famous ones". To me, "the London Bridge" sounds odd - I am pretty sure most people would leave out "the". But saying "Do you know how to get to Golden Gate Bridge?" sounds really odd, you definitely need the artilcle. As a side note, in many parts of the US, especially California, they use "the" in front of freeway names. Instead of "You take I-405 to Irvine." they would say "You take the 405 to Irvine."

Use of the definite article with the name of bridges #4 (permalink) Fri Nov 24, 2017 19:13 pm   Use of the definite article with the name of bridges

(What is now #2 was meant to be permalink #4)
Eugene2114

the reason for "the" in "the east"origin of the term "wakeboard"Is it ok to call a gun withering?Flair vs FlarePlease check the sentences. right or wrong?Meaning of the sentencecoupon busterConditionala special group of teacher-friendswelcome alongThought groups question - Nov 22, 2017Thought groups question - Nov 22, 2017Are these sentences natural to a native ear? Nov 22, 2017